Me Again...another problem

Discussion in 'Goats' started by animal_kingdom, May 13, 2005.

1. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

I treated the eye problem...now the same goat is limping. His right shoulder is pushing outward towards the front way way too far. It looks like it is dislocated.

Now here's the deal with this baby, he will be eaten soon like in a month. I know this sounds bad but he isn't worth much money to put into. In fact, the milk we've had to buy to feed him is worth more than he is.

What do I do?

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

What meds have you given him and how recent?

His time sounds near if he's this much trouble!

3. animal_kingdom

I just gave him a shot of LA200 and also put some drops of it in his eye. It was right after that I noticed his limping. However, when I went out to treat his eye, he was laying beside someone else's mother all cozy...since he has no real mom of his own. Anyway, I picked him up and brought him to a small pen to treat him. So his shoulder wouldn't have shown hurt anyway until I left him walk.

My neighbor told me that this morning, one of the does pushed him real hard because he was in her space. I'm pretty sure that's what did it.

Just talked to dh...he's going to call my brother to put the baby down if he can.

I never hassle so much for a goat. If they give me this much trouble, out they go. However, I was going to give it to the migrant workers that work a neighbor's field so i thought it was worth the hassle of feeding him for them to have the privledge of eating him. They don't get goat meat too often and I wanted to give them the goat and some of my roosters for a weekend coming up.

Now they might only have chickens... :no:

I hate wasting things.

4. mpillow

I know what you mean....

I'm sorry it worked out this way.

5. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

I am sorry if I am out of line, but I have to voice my opionion.

I do not believe in "putting anything down" just because it is to much trouble. I think it is right out cruel. If you dont want to take the good with the bad then you should not have animals in the first place. I take care of all my animals regardless of its worth. That is part of it.

What if you had been sick as a baby and your parents said "Oh, this baby is to much trouble and "put you down" Would have not been a good thing, huh.

Putting this baby goat down, in my opioion, would be the same thing.

Like I said this is just my opionion.

Tina

6. mpillow

You are entitled to your opinion....Would you like to pay the vet bill too?

She stated she intended to give it away for food porposes anyway, thankfully she has knows that since given the antibiotic that it wouldnt be good for people to eat.

And if she doesnt call the vet and just leaves it in the pen the poor thing will be beaten to death and suffer a miserable death. The merciful thing to do is to put him out of his misery. And it is responsible not to feed it to these people.

I had a surplus buck slip on ice and break his leg....my neighbor was happy to come right down and butcher him. I had a doe strangle herself and we butchered her too. Some had meds and didnt make it...they were buried, which is a waste but thats what happens sometimes.

7. animal_kingdom

I am sorry if I am out of line, but I have to voice my opionion.

I do not believe in "putting anything down" just because it is to much trouble. I think it is right out cruel. If you dont want to take the good with the bad then you should not have animals in the first place. I take care of all my animals regardless of its worth. That is part of it.

What if you had been sick as a baby and your parents said "Oh, this baby is to much trouble and "put you down" Would have not been a good thing, huh.

I was sick as a baby...what if I said I was given up for adoption only to suffer more than if I had just died?
    Human life is more valuable than an animal.

Putting this baby goat down, in my opioion, would be the same thing.

I don't understand the difference in raising him another month to shoot and eat him than to shoot him now... :no:

If you want to rescue my goat from goat heaven because it has value and worth, come and get it. You can have it. It goes down Monday morning and you will be to blame then if it gets shot because you didn't come and get it.

Like I said this is just my opionion.

You can have your opinion but accusing someone of not being caring enough or capable of having animals is very very sad. :waa:

I have adopted some of my daughters. A couple of them are extremely abusive towards me. I am in serious pain myself... EVERYday. HOWEVER, I have stuck by these children and honored life for them until the end of time. I will continue to go miles for their pain and suffering. I will NOT continue to be beat up anymore by them which would make me worthless to the rest of my daughters besides the emotional and physical trauma they endure for the wayward ones.

Maybe the course of my life has shown me what to value the most. My most time, energy and money is spent on my children. Neither my daughters nor my animals are neglected. I would be neglectful to both parties to allow this animal the expense and suffering to continue.

We are here to agree to disagree but not point fingers and be accusatory.

Peace to you.

disclaimer: none of this was said in an angry or hurtful tone but instead with calm and sadness

8. magwa

magwa Silkie chicken enthusiast

I think he must be put out of his misery.poor guy.

9. mpillow

Wow! I'm so heartless I fostered 9 children and adopted one!

Broke my heart when they sent the last two boys back to mentally, physically, sexually abusive parents....bet this little goats life has been better than the those two little boys are living. I'd love to sacrifice a goat to save those boys....I wouldnt think twice.

Good reply AK, I think you are a responsible farmer.

10. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

If you want to rescue my goat from goat heaven because it has value and worth, come and get it. You can have it. It goes down Monday morning and you will be to blame then if it gets shot because you didn't come and get it.[/COLOR][/B]:no:

I guess your maybe feeling a little guilty now and want ot put the guilty on me "if I dont come and SAVE him by Monday" That dont work with me.
    You can feel the way you want ot about what I said, but I will say it again it is sinceless to kill an animal just because it is not worth the time or effort. You never mention you was going to be eating him in the first place.
    By the way, my animals are my kids and are treated just like i would treat any human kid. My 3 month old Wether sleeps right beside me in the house at night. he was a Bottle Baby. So I do think they are as valuable as an human. They have feelings just like we do.

As for mpillow, you said she was not going to eat it because of the antibiotics, well it does not sound like it to me. She is going to eat him after Monday.

11. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

"By the way, my animals are my kids and are treated just like i would treat any human kid. My 3 month old Wether sleeps right beside me in the house at night."

boy, i bet that's a pretty mess. does he sit beside you at the dinner table too? bet he's got great table manners. do you make him wear diapers in the house too? what do you do when he pees the bed? eeeewwww.

look ladies, clearly there are posters on here who are not homesteaders or farmers and have no idea, nor wish to learn, what either term means.

i vote we ignore them. :soap:

12. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

I completely disagree with you, tduerson. I'd go as far as to say that we all "love" our critters, but when their upkeep gets to the point that either they get the care they need or the rest of the critters get to eat... guess who gets culled? You have to consider its quality of life. That's the humane thing to do.

13. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

So you're a vegetarian then? Because eating an animal would be a pretty horrible thing to do if you think their life is equal to human life.

And um, yeah, she did say IN THE OPENING POST that he was going to be eaten in a month anyway. Pay attention before you go around passing judgement on everyone.

14. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

As a matter of fact, she does. She mentioned it in another post!
    I guess I would, too, if I raised a goat like a dog. But I'd rather see a goat raised like a goat. Especially because he won't be a baby forever, but will still expect to sleep in the bed!

15. animal_kingdom

Don't worry about me. I feel no guilt whatsoever. No...I apologize. I do feel guilt.

I feel guilt for letting him live this long.

As for mpillow, you said she was not going to eat it because of the antibiotics, well it does not sound like it to me. She is going to eat him after Monday.

I'm not going to eat an antibiotic, infectious goat. Nor would I let anyone else eat him. So you won't be bothered with wondering what is going to take place tomorrow a.m. I will tell you....

First we (my daughters together, I will supervise) will go an dig a big hole. The hole will be big enough for him to stand in...that way, when we shoot him, he will just slump down into the hole.

Second we will put back all the dirt into the hole.

Third, we will stomp on it to pack the dirt.

Fourth I will drive over it in a large pick up truck to pack it even tighter.

Want to make sure some animal doesn't dig it up and eat it and get sick...that's why the hole is so large and deep.

Usually after we bury an animal the girls go make a cross and find some flowers to put on the site.

If you read my first original post, you will read about how he was to be eaten in a month. Go take a peak...we all make mistakes. We won't be eating him, can't. He's been under treatment now and it will make anyone sick to eat him or he just won't taste so good. I like them tender and young but they need to be clean from disease and medication.

Now hope you sleep well. You are way too worked up over the simpleness of farm life. You win some and you loose some. But I will feel sad for the little guy but the sadness gets slid over with peace because he can rest and not hurt anymore.

I'm glad you have the relationship you do with your animals. You are a good care taker. I just hope you never have to be faced in life what I have...animal and especially human.

Time will pass and you will one day understand another point of view enough to not argue about it.

Tina, I am sorry you are getting poked at but hopefully we all will now just let you learn to your own accord. And when you do have a situation like many of us have had or are going through now as far as the animals are concerned, I hope you remember that it is okay to do what is in the best interest of the animal, not what you want but what it needs and you will be okay enough to make the decisions you need to make.

Peace to you.