Mds-help

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by farmmaid, May 15, 2005.

1. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Brother-in-law has (MDS) Meylo Displastic Anemia Syndrome and is not doing well. Anyone had any experience with the disease?...Joan

2. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, yes. My MIL died of it, :waa: but she was in her mid-70's, had stopped eating because she "wasn't hungry" and she was in very low condition by the time they finally figured out what it was. We still don't know if that was what she died of, or if the poor nutrition was part of it (try to get him to eat; she didn't let us know she wasn't till it was obvious, since she lived alone, and by then she was very weak). She also had a very high pain/discomfort tolerance, so she didn't realize how sick she was. Her blood levels, potassium, sodium, etc. got all out of balance, which led to a lot of complications. I hope and pray for your BIL that he is younger, maybe they've caught it in time to find treatments and he can live with it and become stronger with nutritional therapy. It seems to be a baffling ailment, at least the drs. here hadn't seen it often enough to be able to spot it right away or to tell us much about it. Only heard of one other older lady around here that died of it. My MIL was a wonderful, active, vibrant person until this, although she'd had radiation a few years previously for breast cancer, and we aren't sure if the radiation caused or precipitated this disease. It is very hard to see someone you love suffer with any illness, will keep you and him in prayer for healing.

3. DWIGHT DUNCAN

DWIGHT DUNCAN Active Member

Myelodisplastic Syndrome is a collection of similar pathologies of the bone marrow. The disease causes the bone marrow to stop producing healthy, mature cells. I work for a diagnostic lab that performs diagnostic testing for leukemia and lymphoma. MDS is more common than leukemia,but includes many different diseases. It tends to occur in older people and usually doesn't have a great cure rate.

However I've read about a new treatment that is not yet approved by the FDA, but which is providing remarkable results. The drug is related to one used in the 1950's and later banded due to a high number of birth defects associated with it. That was Thalidimide. This drug is call Revlimid I believe. It may be able to kill off the affected cells in the patient that continue to propagate the chromosomal abnormality which causes the disease. It was used in a trial somewhere in Florida.

4. AprilinTx

AprilinTx Member

5. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

6. AprilinTx

AprilinTx Member

Thanks Rick!!! :D