McDowell County, WVa

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Abouttime, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

Hello, I just visited some properties for sale on the WVa/Va border. All are approx 20 acres-spectacular views that I am considering purchasing. Question-on several the current owner has sold the gas rights for $$, have had gravel roads installed, some with wells on a secluded part of the property lines-I am told the gas companies have no further reason to come on the property, that the exchange of a road and additional gate have improved the property and should have no adverse effect on a new owner. Any comments?

2. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

Bettert not take any chances..research the legalities through public records and/or get professional help. The wells must remain accessible to whoever own them.

3. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Contact the company that owns the rights and see if they have any wells in operation or plan on putting more in. If they are old wells they are probably shut down and you will never see anyone out there but if they have wells in operation then you will probably see someone back there about once or twice a month to check on them or whatever. They must have access to their wells but they are responsible for maintaining the access road, ect. Unless they were about to install a new well or something like that I wouldn't worry about it.

4. Abouttime

Thank you both for your input. I believe the company is "Pocahontas"-I will check with them on Monday and see if they will give me some information. I am working with a realtor, and have spoken with some local neighbors and the chamber of commerce-it seems everybody has a different answer.

5. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

McDowel County is definitely hard scrabble. Over the decades a lot of folks have moved out when the coal mines shut down. Be very careful that you don't over pay for the property. That's an area that sees a lot of mountaintop removal mining. Flooding is also a big problem in the hollows.

A couple of the towns in that area have been wiped out more than once by high water. It's tough on businesses.

6. Abouttime

Thank you Darren-I know you are correct! My eldest daughter lives in and has a business in Keystone, thankfully an internet business. This 18 acres I'm most interested in in on the cusp of Buchannon Cty, Va and overflows into McDowell at the top of the ridge- although legally it is mostly in McDowell. It is "cow ready" with fencing, barns, etc, has a spring across the property and a run down 20 yr old house for $64,000-What concerns me most, being a Fl girl is the gas situation and the possiblilty that I've leaving the city for remoteness and don't want anyone having access to the property but ME! As I understand it most of the towns wiped out were on the other side of Welsh-correct? Please feel free to weigh in on these or any other topics-I appreciate all input.

7. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

FWIW, the price seems high. Try and see how long it has been up for sale. Another thought ... I'd look at the house carefully. Most modern houses aren't built that well. If it has already started to deteriorate, I'd be suspicious. A cheap roof will need to be replaced after twenty years. Eighteen acres may seem like a lot for some folks, but in a rural area it isn't. Find out who owns the adjoining parcels.

I bought 41 acres for $8,000 (no buildings) a few years ago. I would have passed that up if it hadn't been next to our place. Since your daughter's in the area, have her look at the local paper for comparables. My guess, and I could be wrong, is it should be closer to $40,000 unless the house is really nice.

8. Abouttime

Again, you are correct-to me living in a St Pete, Fl, 18 acres is huge-I was originally looking for 5 or so. I am working with a realtor from Bluefield, and have searched all the on-line sites, and haven't found anything any nicer for that price-not saying they are not out there, though. When I was up there last week, I looked a 5 properties-all about the same acreage, all the houses were in poor shape and all were higher priced ($75K to 130K The only difference was that this property is more remote and has recently had cattle on it-the others were minimal cleared land and the rest woods.