McAlester, OK

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Keshia, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Keshia

Keshia Guest

I remember a thread a while ago that talked about McAlester, OK but I did a search and nothing came up. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If anyone lives in McAlester could you please email me so I can ask you some questions about it?

Thanks!

2. The last thread I remember about McAlester, Ok. was someone thinking about moving their mom there and wanted to know what kind of town it was. After several replies mentioning the town has our state prison system there I think they decided it maybe better not to move their mom there after all.

3. Keshia

Keshia Guest

I live right by the OKC jail so what would be the difference? Do people escape from that prison or something?

4. Christine in OK

Christine in OK Well-Known Member Supporter

Keshia, I found the website for the city; I haven't spent any time around McAlester in years, with the exception of spending the night there a few months ago on the way between Eufaula, OK and Gainesville, TX. Anyway, there is a state pen right there,I think does rate maximum security. I don't hear too often of escapees on the news, though.

The website is: www.cityofmcalester.com

I doubt this will give you all the information you are looking for, but maybe it will at least be a starting point for you.

I live in Edmond - I hear more about escapees from OK County than McAlester, don't you?!

Oh, I do know that right around McAlester is the place in the state you can get the best Italian food - a place in Krebbs, by reputation is supposed to be about the best in the state!

5. cashcrop

cashcrop Well-Known Member

I thought Giacomo's was the best Italian food and it was located in McAlester. I've heard Pete's Place had really good food but, not italian. I believe Pete's is located just outside of McAlester in Krebs.

6. Keshia

Keshia Guest

Thanks Christine for the website :)

On Italian restaurants, I LOVE Buca's, too bad they don't have one in OK!

7. Christine in OK

Christine in OK Well-Known Member Supporter

Ah, well, know it's in Krebbs, thought it was Italian, was thinking Pete's Place too, but it's been about 15 years, so no telling where I was - a college roommate was from around there, her family took me to dinner once when I visited. I just remember a not-too-fancy looking place with good spaghetti. Giacomo's sounds more Italian than Pete's Place, doesn't it?

Keshia, if you like Italian, there's a place on I-35 about Hefner or so called Papa's Lil' Italy that's worth a try. "Papa" himself died a few years back, so it doesn't have his same touch, but it's still good food, run by his son-in-law now, I think. I believe the same family still runs another OKC restaurant called Papa Dio's also.