McAlester, OK?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TedH71, Nov 26, 2006.

1. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Am curious about the area due to the fact that Cessna has a manufacturing plant there and that OK allows hog hunting and seems to be a reasonably cheap area to live..true or not? I'm trying to get into Cessna here in Wichita after finishing my training in cnc machining after 1-2 years then transferring to the plant in McAlester. Any pros and cons? Thank you in advance!

2. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

this site prob has some of the better info about it http://www.city-data.com/city/McAlester-Oklahoma.html

overall I think that Oklahoma has lower land prices and property taxes than most other states....I love it here but we are in the Northwestern part of the state so it is a lot different even here

McAlister is home to Oklahoma State Penitentiary

you can research it here.... http://www.doc.state.ok.us/

Rachel

3. rebelfarmer

rebelfarmer Well-Known Member

hi
    i lived in mc alester for 9 yr. moved out of their about 8 yrs ago
    the pros the land is fairly cheap.
    have some good shopping. :)
    cons not that great of school system( unless you have money you get treated better) :shrug:
    most of the people are rude :flame: (in the nine yrs their i didnt make any friends worth going back and seeing)
    some of the churches are kind of fishy ( i have heard that some of them are under new leadership and are alot better now)
    if i were you i would try to get located to another plant somewhere else.
    i moved out and never looked back :hobbyhors.
    well i hope you either visit or pray before you concreate your plans to move thier
    God bless

4. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

I was born and raise south of there. Went to college in Wilburton. Still have family living there. The land is cheap compared to most other states. A great place to live. Just about any outdoor type of sport you are interested in is within easy driving distance. Hunting and fishing cannot be beat.
    Newcomers to the area are welcomed. If you move into the area and consider the people living there as just dumb hicks you will be surprised. And you will not be welcomed. If you treat them as you want to be treated you will soon become a member of the community. They will treat you like you treat them.
    Hog hunting is the Kiamichi Mountains is some of the best there is. A lot of hogs. Lots of deer. Fishing in many lakes, rivers, and streams.

5. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

It's growing and thriving right now. The land is still cheap, lots of good quality restuarants and I think it's a nice little city.

6. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Great U S hyways run thru the area, I like to drive thru that area. The roads are kept up pretty good. Thats About all I know.

7. mike3367

mike3367 lost in my own mind

dang i live in ada which is 60 miles west of mac,and they all for got to tell you the ground shakes every now and them from the bombs they blow up

8. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

I drove thru the Kiamichi Mountains once 2 months ago and loved the area. How close is it to McAlester? I didn't go thru that town at the time...simply changed directions and ended up lost in Arkansas. Dont' ask how :doh:

9. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

Kiamichi Mountains are just a little south and a little east. Not a 20 minute drive. Or you can just drive east a few miles to Wilburton and head south. Beautiful country all the way down to Texas and over to Arkansas.

10. HeatherDriskill

HeatherDriskill Well-Known Member

Yall, let's don't forget to mention the maximum security prison! Ha, ha....I just went hunting near McAlester last weekend. I love Oklahoma. I would recommend it to anyone.

11. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

McAlester isn't a bad place. I live about 25 miles south of there. The only bad thing about the area is the drugs. There are quite a few meth labs around. The Ammo Depot does set of bombs quite a bit, and it does shake the ground LOL !!!! There is good hunting and fishing around here. The ecomomy isn't that good but we make due. Land is cheap and once you get to know people they are pretty friendly.

Amanda