Mazda heater problem

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Columbia,SC., Dec 16, 2005.

1. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

Hey all.
    We have a 1992 Mazda protoge with 168,000 miles. It has been a wonderfull car 'bought used' with normal repairs done mainly myself. My latest problem is this. The car runs and the engine heats up with in a few miles like it should even in 20* weather. The temp gauge shows it is at normal temp, but the heater does not put out heat like it should. I have removed the heater core lines and back flushed it twice, still not hot like it used to. I can also smell a hot radiater smell inside the car at a stop sometimes. No water leaking in the floorboard or any noticable fluid loss at the radiator. The oil in the engine is clean as well. I am stumped. I am going to flush and drain the radiator when it gets warmer but that does not help my wife and kids in the cold now. I did 'pay' to have a new water pump and timing belt put on it 8 months ago but that was back in the spring.
    Any ideas will be greatly appeciated ,
    Thanks in advance, Columbia,SC.

2. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

You could try Bleeding the heater , as in taking the highest hose off the heater ( sometimes the highest spot is at the engine end )and let it leak untill you are shure there are no bubbles coming out ( keep toping up the water at the same time ), then check if the hot cold control cable has sliped ( valve not fully open )

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

If you can smell coolant inside the car, my guess is that your heater core is ka-put. Either that or the heating/cooling system is low on coolant.

4. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

What color was the water that came out when flushing the heater core? If it was rusty brown or rusty green, and you have bright green anti-freeze in the vehicle, that means that coolant was not flowing through the heater core. When the water pump was changed, that may have led to air trapped in the heater core. Removing the trapped air can sometimes be a real pain.

Also, feel both the incoming and outgoing lines to the heater core. Are they they same hot temperature when the vehicle has been running. If one is significantly cooler, you have air lock. Some vehicles do have "bypass" valves, so you'll have to check for that as well.

As Cabin mentioned... either way, you really shouldn't be smelling coolant inside the vehicle.

cheers,

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Move the temp. control from cold to hot. Do you audibly hear a door moving? Is there a difference in air temp when moving the lever/knob? You might have a problem in the heater module or control itself. it could be a cable or vacum hose.
    With the engine at temp are both heater hoses hot?

6. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

I have not forgotten this help at all But it is Christmas time, YES I said Christmas not happy Holidays!

I did hear a Thump when I moved the lever, also the circulate and outside air lever has been meesed up from day one, but never a problem.
    It does put out some fair heat but not outstanding HOT heat like in the past.
    I will do the other checks when the car has a day off, not many here lately! DW has a new job and is in the road all of the time between DD school and DW's new job,, H*ll I am learning laundry chores nowdays.

DID you know that dirty clothes have to be washed in a machine to get clean?
    Everyday is a challenge when you are spoiled by a wonderfull wife!

Spoiled and love it!
    Columbia,SC.
    In case you wonder, I do not have a bumper sticker that reads "I LOVE MY WIFE" .....YET. :D