Maytag Washers@Dryers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by johnghagen, Feb 10, 2005.

1. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

:( Hello everone.As you know i am fully commited to the homestead life,and will go out of my way to help people and buy there products.Everyonce in a while i just have to say to people here that we have to wake up.Two months ago Maytag moved out of Galesburg Illinois to go to Mexico for higher profits.This is what happened,2500 people lost there jobs and there penision that they where working for.This company is noy going to make there product in this border town so they can bring them across and sell them cheaper No the price goes up.They left a state of the art building that the city of Galesburg literally gave them the money to build as in tax breaks.Because they needed more profit.They paid there workers 14.95 a hour not bad but not over paid.To go to Reymosa Mexico to pay 1.00 per hour.We the people need to buy what is made here before it is to late,please look and buy local american product your job could be next.I dont work there nor does my family just thought you needed to know how we are killing ourselfs.John Hagen(The Good Earth Farm)

2. Dixielee

Dixielee Well-Known Member

You are so right about buying American,.....the job you save may be your own. The biggest problem is now finding American made products. I was in a store the other day, looking at Genuine Georgia Boots.....made in China.

3. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: You are so right.I looked for a month for a pair of American made leather hunting boots and had no suscess.I will pay 200.00 to 225.00 for a quality pair of boots as they are worn everyday,dress shoes only on Sunday.If anyone can find some let me know.Also be careful of your Carhart garmets as they have a plant in Mexico.They wanted to move there whole operation down there but a grass root mail in to them from all the contruction men and other hard working Americans stoped that and they only make there Yuppie coats down there

4. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

5. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

All those workers will want to buy a Maytag . . . which they couldn't aford before . . . Maytag will have a good run of it for a few years.

Then Kenmore will smarten up and give the market (people) what they want . . . lower priced products and good returns on their stock investments in the companies.

And then you can buy them at Wal Mart for cheap.

We have to learn to compete -- on a world wide scale.

Alex

6. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I live 30 min. from Galesburg. My hubby worked at maytag for a while.. my FIL & BIL worked there, too. FIL retired last April. BIL is a computer & electrical engineer & was there until the last day.

The area is very depressed. There are 2 other factories moving out of the area, too. So, Galesburg has turned into a ghost town basically. Caterpillar in Peoria & John Deere in the Quad Cities are all that the factory workers have to go to & they're not hiring.

7. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

That's a shame one of the reasons why DH and I went with Maytag for our appliances was that they made them in the USA.

I agree with some of the other posters that I like to buy American products whenever possible, but it is getting hard to find them in many categories.

8. jgbndaudio

jgbndaudio Well-Known Member

Alex,

Learning to complete is a totally useless suggestion.
    The Peak oil age is close at hand and globalization will be reversing quickly when it comes. Walmart will be toast as will most other businesses that rely of cheap petroleum to sustain their manafacturing and supply chains. The only companies that will survive will be the ones that have already started reducing their reliance of historically cheap oil. All others will vanish.

Scotty

Check out: http://www.kunstler.com/spch_hudson.htm

9. Bret F

Bret F Well-Known Member

John,
    the last time I checked, Redwing Boots are still made in USA.

10. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Check this out: Russel Moccasin Company

Filson Boots are also American-made: Filson Boots

11. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm so sorry to learn that Maytag is going the way of Sears. I was a Kenmore person as my mother and grandmother before me, then the quality went kaput--they just weren't what they used to be. I found out why and started buying Maytag even though they cost a bit more because they didn't break down, did a good job, lasted a long time. Guess that will not last either. We know people in Mexico that said the Zenith company that moved there some years back was going under because the quality was so bad and they didn't know how to fix the problems. They were moving to India or China, I don't remember which. I'm afraid for future generations here in U.S., but then maybe they will all become "homesteaders".

12. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

those russels look like good boots i just sent for the catolog

13. MoCrafter

MoCrafter Well-Known Member

We are needing to buy a new washer in a month or so. I'm thinking about a front loader type. I was planning to go with Maytag, but not if they have moved to Mexico. Does anyone know of a brand of washers, made in this country, that doesn't need a mortgage on the farm to buy? Thanks

Winona

14. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Kenmore is not a manufacturer, of anything. It is just Sears label attached by the manufacturer. In fact, some Kenmore washers and dryers are/were made by Maytag. Many are made by White, which I believe is now connected with General Electric.

15. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I don't, at all. I bopught all matag, here almost ten years ago. now I don't know what to buy. I don't want to buy something made in mexico. well, I guess I will just have to hunt to find one made in
    america, if there are any out there. but Idon't think so. I think that all of the companies have left our country. IF anyone knows of any, please post. I know all about sears, my friend buys here, she is on her third washer and dryer set, and third cooking stove, just since ibout mine, almost ten years ago. !!!!!!!!!!!WOW.

16. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Staber washing machines are made in the USA. They are a horizontal axis machine, like the front loaders, but they have a mechanism that allows top loading. A couple of friends have had them for years and like them a lot. I don't know what they cost.

Jim

17. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

Alex,

You are advocating a race to the bottom. 'All those workers' may want to buy a Maytag but they can't because THEY JUST LOST THEIR JOBS.

How are people in America (or Canada) going to be able to buy any of these products on a minimum-wage income working at Walmart?

We should not be racing to the bottom of the heap in terms of income and quality of life in order to compete with foreign nations for OUR OWN domestic market. We don't have to compete on your terms. We don't have to sell American workers down the river. We can just plain stop doing business with China. Give American companies 1 year to divest from China and then close the door on doing business with our strategic enemy.

What would be the results? DVD players and cheap plastic goods would be more expensive. But manufacturing jobs would return and ordinary American families would be able to afford health care, groceries, mortgage payments and education. The things that we really need to survive have gotten farther out of reach as a result of trading with China while the stupid crap that we don't really need (cheap TVs, low-cost designer clothes) has gotten less expensive. This is completely backwards and needs to be changed.

-Jack

18. jgbndaudio

jgbndaudio Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have to second the nod for a staber. They run about a thousand dollars but they are by far the best-built washers going. If I had more space that is what I would've bought. They're super energy, water and detergent efficient. They cost more up front but they will save you money as long as you own them. They're also very simple design and easy to fix for the life of the appliance. I've heard some people have had them for 10+ years and no problems.

I ended up buying an Equator (not made in USA) Washer/Dryer combo, it's a little small, and also cost about a thousand dollars but it handles everything but our queen size comforters. There's definitely something to be said for putting in dirty clothes and going back a couple hours later to clean and dry. Plus the time you save not having to switch the clothes from the washer to the dryer is really nice.

It might not be the best choice for everyone but since it's also super energy, water and detergent efficient it should be considered.

Scotty

19. MoCrafter

MoCrafter Well-Known Member

Scotty,

I don't want to sound dumb, but I've never heard of an Equator washer/dryer combo. Do you mean it washes and dries all in the same tub? Is it top or front loading? We have a cistern, so have to haul all our water from town, 10 miles away. So I need a washer that is very water efficient. Electric and soap efficient would just be a plus. Thanks.

Winona

20. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

Even when Maytag was in Galesburg, it was only assembled there... all the parts were made elsewhere (mexico, china, brazil) and shipped in to be assembled here. I truly doubt in anything is 100% made in the usa if you don't do it yourself!