Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
It's time to shop for a new washing machine ... I'm looking for the most energy efficient machine and have narrowed it down to these two ... Maytag 'Neptune' and Staber.

I welcome comments ... pros and cons ... from anyone with experience using them.

Thanks in advance for your time.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Consumer Reports had evaluation of washing machines a month or two ago in their magazine. You might check that. I'm still using my 24 year old Maytag so have no personal info on the new machines.

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
I have an Asko washer and dryer. Asko spins to 1600 rpm and does a wash and 5 rinses on 17 gallons of water. Heats it own water and spins clothes so dry that the dryer usage is almost nil. That said I would check out the new front loaders from Whirlpool - I would trade if possible because of repairs.

If you live out in the boonies think about warranty repair or even worse non warranty repair.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Last I heard Staber was the only company that would honor a warrenty if you are using an inverter. My landlords had one and ran it off solar with an inverter. They fried the panel twice in the first year and the company sent them new panels. They said it did a wonderful job on the clothes.

Someone mentioned they had a Neptune that went bottoms up after I think, 5 yrs and very expensive to replace. Don't remember who at this point.

·
Premium Member
4,283 Posts
I was looking at a Danby today - that is a great machine at the price! The tub is a little small compared to other Euro washers, but it has a step up transformer in it to get 220V heating and still uses very little power. I would love a Miele, would settle for a Bosch, but will probably get a Danby.
I heard about it from the laundry room forum over at gardenweb - those people know their washers! lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
I did a lot of research while shopping as I was torn between the neptune and the Whirlpool Duet. The Neptune had a lot more consumer complaints and service calls than the Duet. I bought the Duet washer and dryer. We had it for almost a year now and are very happy with it. The only thing I might do different would be to get the HT with its own heater.

It cleans the clothes great with very little soap and water. At first my mom and friends were sceptical because they didn't think the laundry could get clean with so little water. We can even throw a king size down comforter in the washer and it doesn't have any balance problems. I also wash my "hand wash only" sweaters and silk blouses in it with no damage. The spin cycle removes most of the water so that drying time is reduced.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Id just like to find a washing machine that would get the darn cloths clean.Seems they have all went to makeing them so gental on your cloths that they no longer beat the darn dirt out.Fine for them city folk but sucks for farm dirt.
I think ill try a front load next time.To see if tumbling might do the trick.Darn never had a problem with the old washers that had beaters in them the size of boat paddles. :rolleyes: Now they just spinn that cork screw looking tub around at half a mile an hour.

·
Registered
23 Posts
we live on solar power and a well. After alot of research, and talking to Neptune owners, we went with the top Consumer Report choice: the Sears Kenmore Elite front loader. There is no washer more energy or water efficient. You can add clothes mid-cycle, and the repair record is awesome, unlike the Neptune with an abysmal record. I love mine after 8 months.

·
Registered
433 Posts
We also needed a new washer 2 years ago-looked in Consumers Reports, and they recommended the Kenmore front loader...cheaper than the Maytag, and we have used the tar outa it and have had no problems...uses very little water, quiet, a grat deal for the price!! Would recommend one to anybody!!

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't know about the Kenmore. I've kinda leaned toward the Staber because of the ease of service and am wondering if all those settings Maytag has are at all necessary.

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
We are also on solar/wind power with only a 2000 watt inverter. After much research I finally went with a Fisher-Paykel. Cost 599 at lowes and so was less than the 999 staber. Is working great so far and has a ac to dc conversion motor with soft start so less surge use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We also have the Kenmore elite. We are on solar power only ,no utiltity hookup. Just last month we had a free one year checkup and the guy didn't even bat an eye when we told him we were on solar power. We have had it for over a year. No problems whatsoever. We love the washer. We also looked at the neptune and didn't like them. The Elite is much more energy and water efficient not to mention a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You can find some interesting older threads about Staber and other brands of washers.

I love our Staber. It loads at the top and spins like a front-loader. Clothes spin so dry that they dry quickly even indoors in winter. It uses little water/detergent/electricity. I can get 5 complete sets of twin sheets into one load.

As promised, it truly is end-user serviceable. I had an issue with a threaded bolt in the assembly that spins so dang fast. Even after being past the warranty by 4 months, they said they would simply send me an entire new assembly to keep it simple(I broke the bolt off tightening it using a ratchet and my apparent unacknowledged super-human strength-I think I actually stripped it first). It is arriving by UPS at no cost to me.

Meantime, after a weekend of company I wanted to wash the towels so they wouldn't stink too bad before tomorrow and the part arrives. So we went and used the neighbors' giant Maytag. Wow, the sheets were really wet after the load finished. Took longer to dry on the line. Were clean enough just seemed less efficient.

I have had nothing but unhappiness with Kenmore/Sears major appliances so would vote to avoid them at all costs.

The only thing negative I would say about the Staber is that you ought to speak with the delivery/shipping company yourself to confirm the price of transport. I had to pay extra to deliver to a residence since I didn't meet them at a dock. I didn't know that up front.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am fighting with Maytag right now about my neptune set.I paid more on repairs than I did for washer.Everytime somethings wrong you have to buy a new curcuit board 400-500 dollars I bought 3 finally gave up bought frigedaire washer & dryer.Paid all that money out thinking I had the best.What a joke that was.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have the maytag neptune. I LOVE it. It fits so many clothes, looks like new - we bought it years ago. I am able to wash everything in it because of it having an open barrel - I even wash my car mats in it. It also spins so fast that your clothes almost dry in it!

It holds so much clothing and always gets it clean. It also only uses the amount of water that is needed for the size load you put in.

A while ago, my hubby had to open it up because a hair scrunchy had clogged it somewhere. He was truly amazed at how simple the design was. He talked about it for days - being an engineer, that's a big deal. That was the only time anything has not worked properly (a freak occurence). When it comes to any appliance, it's important (especially for a do it yourselfer) to have one that is not only high quality, but easy to do a repair on later in years!

We are saving up for the dryer to the set.

brural

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bulldinkie how were you powering that machine..? ...grid or off grid inverter..?? Some of the mod-sine wave inverters are known not to be friendly with some electrical eguipment. I have a big signwave inverter so thats not an issue here. But could that have been part of your problem..?
I've heard the inrush (surge) on a Saber can cause problems on inverters that are a tad to small.

·
Registered
11,300 Posts
Jim-mi said:
bulldinkie how were you powering that machine..? ...grid or off grid inverter..?? Some of the mod-sine wave inverters are known not to be friendly with some electrical eguipment. I have a big signwave inverter so thats not an issue here. But could that have been part of your problem..?
I've heard the inrush (surge) on a Saber can cause problems on inverters that are a tad to small.
Well,if youre offgrid avoid circuit board machines like the plague!My sis has a very nice solar/Honda genny/trace sinewave setup,and its 2nd circuit board for her,she doesnt have a neptune(what she wanted) but the next priced setup.Why it doesnt like her inverter,or what,beats me(maybe the generator did it in,trace shouldnt have hurt it,its very clean power)I just dont know.I sure wished she had listened to all the research Ive done on this,and got a Staber,but she is a bells a whistles freak on appliances and always gets burned.
We are going staber next machine.I currently have the cheapest Kenmore made,and its 10 years old and still going strong,never a problem to date,not one!,2 temps,2 cycle (regular and delicate),and cleans my clothes fine,her MONSTER likes to rip things.
Give me a basic machine any day.IMHO
BooBoo

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine is gas I had the set,all the repairmen told me when ever something burns out you need whole new curcuit board.we were tired of paying out money.I liked it when it ran.all that money.What do I have???I bragged about mine too till the boards started blowing.It wasnt how it was hooked up.The first one the man said that was an odd one to burn out.Im done with Maytag.On another forum theres a thread on just washers neptunes the largest ....mistake

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Why is it they overcomplicate things? My sister bought a gas stove with an electric clock and digital readout of temp. No other options. But when the electric board went for the digital readout, her gas stove quit working. Cheaper to buy a new one than to fix the old. Crazy, huh?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts