Maybe we ARE morons, afterall...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by minnikin1, Aug 28, 2005.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

We went shopping for new mattresses for guest beds last week.

The salesmen in several stores we went to were promoting their
    greatest "new" discovery. Mattresses that don't require turning!
    What a great thing....

For those like us who have not shopped for mattresses in ages, what does this mean, exactly?
    Its 1/2 a mattress. It doesn't require turning because it can't be turned because there is no OTHER side!
    Do you get a price break for 1/2 a mattress, you might be wondering??

NOOO!!!
    It costs more because you don't have to turn it!!

Who dreams up these marketing ploys? What do they think we are???
    Hence, the thread title... :rolleyes:

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

What do you mean by 'half a mattress?' Half as thick? How can it not have an opposite side? I'm confused now...... :confused:

Ours is a type of no-turn mattress, too, but it's one I had to buy deep-pocket sheets for...extra thick. And we still turn it. It said you Can, just you don't Have to. And it's the best mattress we've ever had! Had it for several years now.

Meg

3. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

You can't turn it. If you flip it over, it's like looking at the underside of a sofa.

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Ohmigosh! That's really weird!

5. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Mine is a no turn but both sides are mattress material-it's just the top has a thick pillow top. I could turn it but I'd lose the super thick cushion I've come to love! lol
    The one they tried to sell you sounds like what the underside of a box spring looks like!! :grump:

6. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    A mattress that looks like the bottom of a sofa on the other side? :rolleyes: PUHLEEZE in my day that was called a box spring. Sounds to me like some clever salesmen got some old box springs cheap and is doing all he can to palm them off on the buying public. And what ever happened to plain old mattresses, the kind that had no springs inside and would bend and roll up and were made of mattress ticking and button tufted. They were great for all kinds of other projects like window seats and odd settees. And the best pillow I ever owned was made in the Stateville Prison. That puppy was firm as good be and kept its shape and lasted nearly 15 years. I wouldnt give you two cents for the pillows you can buy nowadays.

7. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

And then there are those mattresses that are suppose to CONFORM to your body shape.

How can they be so great?
    Think about it!

If your body sags from too much "muscle" in the glutius maximus-----and gives you a back ache............do you need a mattress that conforms to the same dysfuctional shape as your sagging butt?

Wouldn't be so much better to have a mattress with enough springs and support to hold that part of your body in better allignment rather than one that conforms to your already inappropriate body shape?

8. chas

chas Well-Known Member

We bought a king size memory foam with pillow top a year ago.Best matress we ever had.Since it's so big and square we turn it a quarter turn every month just in case!
    Trouble is it's so big we have to call out now and then to see if we are both still there ;) We cut the chiropractor trips down drasticly,so it paid for itself already :happy:
    Chas

9. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

Maybe you should read more slowly. :D

10. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

We tried out the "air mattress" one several years back where each person can choose his own degree of softness.

I like a REALLY firm mattress and by the time the mattress was as firm as I preferred, it was like sleeping on a log.
    The air bag in the center of the mattress got so round and firm that I kept rolling off the firm section in the center.

We are overdue for new mattresses, and I dread needing to shop for one.

We, built our bed frame, nice and high off the ground and have eliminated the box spring---placing the mattress directly on a plywood base which I have covered with a quilted (matress-like) fabric.

The higher bed frame/mattress, also, makes it easier for old, arthritic bones to get out of bed-----cause, by the time your feet hit the floor, you're already standing up.