Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shrug: I wrote a thread about the diet that my potbelly is on and I have had no responces. I know it could be because whoever knows the answer hasn't read it or maybe I just worded it wrong. Mainly I wanted to know if my potbellies are getting the right nutrition they need from eating the same alfalfa pellets that I feed my goats. :help: They also get some of the goat mix. They no longer are getting potbelly pig food. Oh, they are pets not being fattened up for sale, I'm sure that makes a differance. If no one knows the answer is there a good link I can go to for the info? thanks again. :1pig:

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
We have two pet pbp's and have switched to feeding them the same feed that our feeder hogs eat, a corn/soybean mix. PBP's are easy to maintain, so the alfalfa pellets are probably fine. I would make absolutely certain that they are not eating any medicated feed that is meant for goats! PBP's don't need any sort of medicated feed anyways, and the goat feed could make them ill or worse....

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing that I am giving my goats that my piggies get is goat mix, which is similar to sweet feed and the alfalfa pellets. They do get goat minerals but, that is in a special feeder that the piggies don't get into. thanks for the info... I was just worried cause she was just so darn over weight from too many treats and everything else and now that she is not getting the amount of treats and she is on the alfalfa she has lost weight and looking so much better. I can see light under her belly! But, I just wanted to make sure the weight loss was a good thing and not because she was not getting the right nutrition.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have a pbp - she is my first so i'm still learning a lot, but in my research and from what i've been told they do need more nutrients then that. I feed mine the purina pbp food ( muzuri i belive ) and she gets a childrens vitamin everyday as well, and treats, however her treats are teeny tiny, not large amounts, just a taste - she is in perfect weight according to the vet and my opinion, with plenty of daylight under her belly. Alfalfa i hear can actually make then gain weight too, and has very high protein levels. The key is to feed them the right amount - Lola ( my pbp ) gets her amount of food measured out everyday and then is fed that amount throughout the day - if you worry about your goats eating the pbp food, could you just feed them once morning and night so they eat it before the goats ? Mine is in the house ( besides going outside with us ) so we don't have to worry about that.

If your pbps are young i would really suggest a better diet for them, as well if you are planning on breeding them too. They can develop health issues if fed improperly as can any animal/human. Alfalfa pellets are fine to supplement them with, but i would get them on something ment for their health as well, and just WATCH their intake amount to control weight - the cheap childrens vitamins from walmart are a great thing too - i've noticed a big difference in Lola's skin and general look since she has been on them - and she loves them :+)

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
As a treat, I feed mine a small whole summer squash every couple of days. Low-fat, but yummy. The biggest problem with PBP's is people feeding them too much! Obesity is a common problem and causes all sorts of ills.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks so much everyone, I love my potbellies and I want them to be happy and very healthy. I never thought of a multi vitamin for them... I always had her on potpelly pig food and she would get some marshmellows from me. She got over weight from so much scrap from my in-laws ( I put a stop to that ) and we also sold our feed pig that she hung with so she got lazy for a while. Now we have a baby boy potbelly and she is more active. Of course now with the heat they both are pretty lazy.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
There are folks feeding the PBP like some feed their hogs. Pasture (where they're also getting exercise), eggs, dairy, hay when snow is on the ground (some feed hay all year around), what's left of the garden when the season is over, etc. No commercial feed. They don't feed the pigs the junk food that they themselves are eating. The pigs are leaner, not obese, healthier.

For eating, the pet PBP is a lard pig; the pastured PBP pig is a bacon pig.

Haven't met many like you who are concerned with the feed and weight. They just feed the commercial feed and treats. Your PBPs will no doubt live longer.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rogo, I was wondering where you have been... I thought you would give me the straight up on this. thanks... I know you have told me before that I spoil them... but what can I say, it makes me happy.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
There's a fella on this forum who is QUITE knowledgeable about the PBP, altho he raises PBPs for meat. He's having some health problems so hasn't been around much lately. Sure hope he's okay.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rogo, where you talking about George K? I went into the pet forum to see what they had to say about the potbellies and his name was mentioned and it rang a bell with me that I used to see him in here all the time... I haven't seen him lately.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
george k knows his stuff. sorry to hear he is having helath problems.

your pig will be a whole lot happier and healther if she is allowed to free range. that way she expends as much energy as she takes in, thereby preventing too much weight. overweight will shorten her life significantly.

mine free range, with kitchen scraps every 2 or 3 days. (there's only me so there isn't a lot.) in the winter i feed hog finisher, plus buy giant cans of different vegs, and stuff from the marked down shelf in the produce section.

i have found that if you give them vegetables and fruits whole, it takes them longer to eat, and seems to keep them more occupied and entertained.

http://www.9sites.com/

this is the site of a woman i have gotten lots of help from.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Yep, it's George I was thinking of for knowledge with the PBP.

No two tend or feed alike no matter what type of critters they have. We all do what works for us.

I personally don't like the look of the PBP. Someone who raises them for meat told me that's why they're easy to eat! Nasty, I know!

I would like to raise the PBP for meat. I just don't like the idea of feeding that meat for close to a year to get it to the table or able to breed. So still going back and forth between the PBP and hog. Temps here will be in triple digits for a while yet, so I still have thinking time.

Kinda strange. While at the feed store, I was looking at the ingredients for pig starter. It was identical to chick starter. Guess one wouldn't have to be concerned if they got into each others feed and you could purchase the one less costly!

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Marvella, thanks for the link.... it is so interesting. Rogo, I have been reading too and I can't get over how many of the feeds seem to be the same. I guess I just need to keep on reading and I really appreciate all over everyones help. Come on Rogo, they are so darn cute, they will grow on ya. tee hee hee

1 - 14 of 14 Posts