Maybe a good time to start checking for...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ed in S. AL, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Wasp nest around or under your porches. I say this because I just got popped by 3 or 4 in my hand. They were on the railing around the front porch, and when I throwed some water over on the cats in the trash can, they swarmed and got me pretty good.

2. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

I haven't been stung yet this year but have found several nests. One was just under the seat of the tractor, right where I would put my hand when turning to look back. Lucky I guess, nobody was home at the time. :)

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for reminding me. I've got a few I need to take care of before I get stung (I'm allergic).

4. via media

via media Tub-thumper

If someone threw water on my head while I was trying to enjoy a meal, I would wish bee stings on them. :D

I do hope you were able to get rid of the nest without further incident, but you should think twice before you are mean to dumpster-diving kitties :) Bad karma...

/VM

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

maybee there on the cats payroll

6. dalilies

dalilies Well-Known Member

Don't forget to check the kiddie toys! Year before last we found a little hive on the hollow underside of our kids tugboat sand box. They went in the drainage holes. I am so thankful that we found them before they found the kids!

Jennifer

7. emke

emke Well-Known Member

A good way to get rid of them, so you can dispose of the nest, is to put some moth balls near the nest. We had them swarming inside of our porch light. I hung some moth balls (about 10) inside the toe of some old panty hose, and hung it from the bottom of the light fixture. I went inside and watched out the screen door. The wasps made a "bee line" to get out away from the smell. My sister in law told me about this. We now keep some moth balls on the top shelf on our back porch, so they don't decide it would make a good home.

8. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

We have a terrible time with wasp nests, paper wasps, hornets etc. I'm glad they do alot of good eating other insects, but I wish they 'd not choose the eaves to make nests! I've found nests almost everyehere - under flower pots, in boxes, old motorcycle helmets, in and around cars .....

9. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

"I do hope you were able to get rid of the nest without further incident, but you should think twice before you are mean to dumpster-diving kitties Bad karma..."

Yeah - use a 22 cal rat shot round. Much more effective and the effects last much longer.

10. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Couldn't shoot them. The cats in the can were my 2 pretty Calicos. I dumped half a can of wasp spray on the nest. Them little rascals dropped dead quick. If that wasn't bad enough, I was moving turkeys and broilers from the chicken tractors last night. Got pecked 4 times real bad in the same hand I was stung by the turkeys, then when moving some broilers, thought they were gonna pull all the skin off of the same hand. Now my hand really hurts. LOL

11. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I just RAN in from the back of the lot, where my compost piles and vegetables garden are.

When I picked up the plastic "fencing" from around one of the piles to turn it, a big ol' swarm of wasps came out!!!

Now, I don't know what to do: Can't spray pesticide on my compost, can't get near the garden...

I thought about pouring boiling water on 'em, because even though it's gone quite dark outside, I think they're still mad and moving around. And there's no way on God's green little Earth that I'm going back there to check it out for a while!

Do you think they'll go away now that the nest is disturbed and the outer wall (as it were) is removed?

Pony! (respectful and scared of wasps)

12. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

gee should try discing a nest with all the cab windows on the tractor!!!!! real fancy dancing in the cab and the track in the field?! next time round had the windows up and wasp blaster in the cab! only one sting to show for it too!