May I vent? re: VA Benefits?

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by donsgal, May 24, 2005.

1. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I joined the US Army when I was 19 years old. I was stationed in Ft. Carson, Colorado from 1974 - 1976 working as Company Clerk (71B20) for the 52nd Engineers.

After I finished my enlistment I took advantage of the educational benefits and got an English degree which has been next to worthless for the past 30 years.

Ten years passed and my educational entitlement went up in smoke. Now I am 50 years old and have the time so I would like to learn how to actually do something worthwhile to contribute to the quality of life for myself, my family and my community.

I am shocked and appalled that when it comes to benefits, you are only supposed to be interested in learning something for the first ten years - in my case (and many others) until you are 28 or 29 years old. After that point, you're expected to buy a house (VA LOAN), get married, raise a family.

By the time you are 50 the only benefits left to you from the VA are medical and death. So apparently, according to the glorious Veteran's Administration all you Vets out there over 40 better start getting sick and die, because that's all thats left for you!

How insulting. I may be 50 years old but I have a lot of good, productive years ahead of me 25 or 30 at least. And damn it I resent the fact that the only thing the VA thinks I am good for is heading for death's door!

I can't understand why there aren't government programs available to us that improve our quality of LIFE not death. There are so many things that I would like to learn to do, but I cannot afford them on my own coin. How nice it would be to have some type of benefit available to me to help.

I realize that many Vets NEED the medical care desperately - and I am NOT taking anything away from them. Lord knows my poor 85 year old, blind, diabetic father could never afford medical care without the VA there for him. And eventually, the VA burial allocation will come in handy (even though it barely scratches the surface of final expenses).

Nevertheless, I still wish there were some educational benefits available to me. I only used five years of my previous benefits in college, I should be able to access the other five now that I want to go back to school.

Oh well, nobody said life was fair, eh? Rant over. Thanks for listening.

donsgal

2. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I suspect the laws were written when life expectancies were much shorter (I'm sorry... you ARE supposed to be dead by now!) and as social policy... you were supposed to buy a house, settle down in a nice stable job, and eventually retire from that job.

The VA benefits didn't keep pace with structural changes in society: better medicine and extended life expectancies, fluid job and housing markets, etc.

Remember, those laws were written by "old men" back in the 1950's. That means those men would have been born around 1900, if not the later part of the previous century. They simply had different expectations of men in their 50's than we do today. I fully expect my husband (who also lost his education benefits) to be in the middle of his career at 50, not getting ready to wind down his life!

But my grandfather? He was old at 50. Rugged, but old. And not interested in education benefits, but in health care.

3. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

You have every right to rant. My brother quit school in the 11th grade. Wasn't in the service. And he is now able at 55, to go to college to get his GED and a college education without having to pay for it.

On the other hand, my husband,(he's 53) graduated from high school, who was hurt at work and is also in the VESID (a rehab program in NY) program and is a veteran cannot go back to school for a computer degree (he can do anything with computers, just needs some sort of certification for jobs, of course). It makes me so angry. People who don't graduate or have lots of children on low income get rewarded. At least in this state. There is all kinds of programs for them. None for us though.

He was able to apply for the nonservice compensation. But wouldn't it be better to be able to get the education for a better paying job? As a veteran, I think he has been treated very badly by our goverment agencies. When he applied for unemployment benefits the girl there treated him horrible! NY state has the worse goverment workers I have ever come across!!!
    They want you to be poor and keep you down.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    There are programs in place to assist education of older veterans, info is at www.myhealth.va.gov or via land line at 1 888 442 4551. Phone dureing normal business hours.

Register in at the web site above and seek 'non health benifits' listings for a large listing of benifits available. It is possible to recieve a degree via on line college.

I could not get the link to open here but if you read down to my post about 'your personnal website' it opens there, its only a few below this post.

Have your DD214 in hand when you phone the number given.

5. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Well I have a rant! They wouldn't even extend the educ benefits to me or my DH since we already have degrees. What if we want a different one?

Here in Britian when a servicemember leaves they get to go on a course- not I think say a 4 year degree (tuition was free for that until recently here anyway) but some occupational training course. Many retiring officers doctors ministers whatever go on a basketmaking or woodworking course to gain a new hobby even if they don't wish to learn a new trade for income, and for enlisted such a course can start a new career if their military job does not transfer well into civilian life.

6. petefarms

petefarms Well-Known Member

Kalupe, you or husband might want to check into his being microsoft certified, an industry test accepted and there are other certifications in the computer industries he can take. My son works for a local isp and when I see him this weekend, I will ask him about the specifics and post them here. Talk to a local isp or community college professor or someone who works in the field.

7. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I get a "cannot find server" error at that URL. I will try the phone number on Tuesday. Thanks.

donsgal