Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD has a coat which she wears for barn work. It is a thick, padded coat with a "waterproof" outer layer. Sort of like a duvet made into a coat? Don't know how else to describe it LOL

Anyway, while she has been feeding her rabbits, the buck likes to chew her coat - I have to confess that I didn't take much notice of it at first until she came to me and said "look what Smudge did".

Anyway, she has a huge hole in the outer layer of the coat, and the padding is coming out of that. And she also has some smaller nicks in it that haven't yet got big enough to "leak".

Just for now, I have just done a rough running stitch around the outside of the big hole, through all three layers, to stop it leaking any more padding.

But does anyone have any suggestions how to mend this properly please?

TIA

hoggie

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I think I might try some fray Check around the edges and just put a patch over.

Or just give it to the rabbit for a bed..... Cute story.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
I'm afraid all I'd know to do is the patching too. Maybe check at Goodwill for some waterproof jogging suits for the same type of material to patch with, if you could find something cheap enough. Otherwise I'd probably just use whatever I have on hand.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Do you have an embroidery machine? If so make some fun and funky patches and sew them over the holes. If not, you can buy really cute embroidered patches, that way the coat would still be cute and wearable.

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you - sorry I didn't get back sooner.

Patching it seems like the plan, but I wasn't sure what to use for fabric. I may be able to pick up an old coat somewhere for it.

I like the idea of an embroidered patch though, I don't have a machine but I can probably buy one.

Thanks again

hoggie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts