Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
It finally warmed up here this week. I got onions, beans, string beans, tomatoes and carrots planted yesterday before the rains came-- supposed to rain for three straight days now....still have peas and corn to plant. Potato plants are starting to pop up.

Egg plant-- aaarrgghh! I HATE egg plant.....Yrs ago, I was seeing an Italian immigrant chic. After a few weeks, she invited me to meet her parents and have Sunday dinner. The mother made egg plant parmigiana. I forced it down, hoping my grimace of repugnancy wasn't too obvious. The mother asks "Come sono?" (she spoke no English)...I politely responded "Ahh, bravissima...Molto delisiosa!"..

No good deed goes unpunished. I got egg plant parmigiana every Sunday for the next six months...I woulda married that girl, but she talked so much, I once heard a Jehovah's Witness beg her to shut up.

·
VICKI2
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Doc..I agree on the egg plant. My Mom fixed it all the time but I could never take a liking to it.

Danaus29..thanks for tips on pruning. Also you said you planted tomatillos, I planted a couple this year for the first time. They were about 2 to 2-1/2 ft tall. We get wind here ALL the time so I buried them about 6 inches in the ground and put some hard plastic walls of water around them to help protect form the wind they look pretty week from being blown around but I watered again yesterday. The little yellow blooms are still attached. Any thing else I need to do to keep them going?

·
STILL not Alice
20,197 Posts
Have had onions, potatoes, mangels in the ground for a few weeks. Got the tomato plants in between the raindrop over the past few days. Working to stay ahead of the ever-expanding jungle. Those danged vines love the warmth and humidity!

Berries and roses are blooming. Hope it's not too late to get some greens in, before the heat turns up in earnest.

·
Premium Member
26,577 Posts
Danaus29..thanks for tips on pruning. Also you said you planted tomatillos, I planted a couple this year for the first time. They were about 2 to 2-1/2 ft tall. We get wind here ALL the time so I buried them about 6 inches in the ground and put some hard plastic walls of water around them to help protect form the wind they look pretty week from being blown around but I watered again yesterday. The little yellow blooms are still attached. Any thing else I need to do to keep them going?
Stake them. The first ones I grew were tall, over 6 foot. Those were tied to t-posts set a couple feet into the ground. The ones I have this year are supposed to be bush tomatillos. I have to buy the posts but I'll be staking these too.

·
Premium Member
26,577 Posts
KIMG1699.JPG

This is what happens when it's too cold to set your tomatillos out in the sun and wind. They were in the greenhouse shelving unit in the background but quickly outgrew their little 4 inch pots. The garden is too wet to plant them right now so I'll have to put them in bigger pots until it dries out.

·
VICKI2
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I hope everyone had a good weekend. I went to a graduation party on Saturday. I visited the cemetery and put out flowers. I sure looked pretty this year. Hope you all are keeping up with things at home. It sure got busy for me. My garden is in and things look good right now. Its time to get on the weeds. Its supposed to get up to 102 today. Too Hot Too Early!! But things should grow good. I watered before I came to work today. My baby chicks are growing. I lost 2 baby goats this week. I bought the mom a few months ago and she was supposed to have them in a couple of weeks but didn't and never really looked pregnant so I thought she must not have been bred. She did bag up at all so I hope I won't have trouble in the future. One was normal size and one was very small but very cute. I hate when this happens. My kids came this weekend and helped clean my barn and even painted some of it. How's everyone else doing?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts