Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
VICKI2
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how everyone is doing? Its been busy the last month or so. I have been getting my garden going. My plants I started for the garden did not do well. I'm still babying them but just not sure if the will ever mature enough. I have planted potatoes. I wanted the red pontiac's but all they had were the blue one's (not sure the name). I planted 7 tubs with them and the plants are now popping up so I'm excited. I did finally find some pontiac's so I want to plant them this weekend. I have peppers and a few tomatoes in. I have my cucumber plants and will get them in this week after work. I also want to get my green beans in this weekend. I noticed my peach trees have tiny peaches and I'm excited. Last year the frost got them. I haven't checked the cherries and apricots yet. I bought 50 baby chicks. A few to raise for eggs and the rest meat birds to eat. I STILL haven't got my old grapes trimmed up and that is a must. The vines are leafing out so I best put a rush on it. I have rice and beans to dry pack. Plenty to do but never enough time!! I may be crazy but I worry about food shortages.. or worse high prices.. so I am trying to do all I can. I'm planting extra so I can can for my family. I got so much more done in the same amount of time about 20 years ago... what the heck happened??? Let me know what the rest of your are doing to get by. To know there are others out there trying to figure it out is the boost we all need somedays.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just wondering how everyone is doing? Its been busy the last month or so. I have been getting my garden going. My plants I started for the garden did not do well. I'm still babying them but just not sure if the will ever mature enough. I have planted potatoes. I wanted the red pontiac's but all they had were the blue one's (not sure the name). I planted 7 tubs with them and the plants are now popping up so I'm excited. I did finally find some pontiac's so I want to plant them this weekend. I have peppers and a few tomatoes in. I have my cucumber plants and will get them in this week after work. I also want to get my green beans in this weekend. I noticed my peach trees have tiny peaches and I'm excited. Last year the frost got them. I haven't checked the cherries and apricots yet. I bought 50 baby chicks. A few to raise for eggs and the rest meat birds to eat. I STILL haven't got my old grapes trimmed up and that is a must. The vines are leafing out so I best put a rush on it. I have rice and beans to dry pack. Plenty to do but never enough time!! I may be crazy but I worry about food shortages.. or worse high prices.. so I am trying to do all I can. I'm planting extra so I can can for my family. I got so much more done in the same amount of time about 20 years ago... what the heck happened??? Let me know what the rest of your are doing to get by. To know there are others out there trying to figure it out is the boost we all need somedays.
You are fortunate to have the land and ability to plant. I for one get through each day slowly as time passes. I have no planting space, but I have patio space and that's where I go to spin on my wheel in the good weather. No good weather this year so no spinning so far. I do some reading, some yoga take a nap....everyone (a lot) has moved out of this small complex so no one to talk to. Have a cat but she doesn't talk much...this is a challenging year and it can stop anytime.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
At my elevation, 7500 feet, if I want a garden I will need to build a greenhouse first. So no planting this year. I am putting up the wall boards in my house. Finished the back wall today, three more to go.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I'm counting the day until I can plant my garden. I may just plant some lettuce and spinach this coming weekend. The rest of the garden I don't/won't plant until June 1st. Mother Nature doesn't like us planting before then..

·
Premium Member
26,245 Posts
I saw lettuce plants for $3 each! A head of lettuce diesn't cost that much at the store. I didn't plant lettuce this year since hubby can't chew it, but I now regret that decision. I'm going to try planting some next week in the shadier spots.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
???? If it's a cartoon, why do they need to shoot on location?

Orange- faced bear?....Got The Munchies and devouring Fritos in mass quantities?

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts
Now that we're all vaccinated, I'm trying to get up support for a potato planting party--whenever it warms up and dries up. I'm facing some down time for neck surgery in the near future to get my fingers and hands back.. But we will have garlic and onions, so far. And with some new hands, my new to me Allis "G" will get a horizontal tool bar(to make room for a ladder so I can get my big butt onna the seat and have some fun with it.)

:)

geo

·
VICKI2
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Geo...will be praying all goes well with the surgery. Be sure to keep us updated!!
I hope all you Mom's out there had a great Mothers Day. I sure did I got a hanging basket of flowers and my son brought me a peach tree AND planted it! We had lunch and after they went home i was going to work outside for awhile but the wind was a bit much so I did NOTHING..I don't like those days but I find it hard to work in the wind. My first round of potatoes are up so I'm excited about that but I still need to get my reds planted. I will get that done the week. And my beans planted this week. This darn warm wind sure dry's everything out fast so I have to watch that pretty close. My baby chic's are growing like crazy.
Hidden Springs...you said you planted spinach...what zone are you in. I've never planted spinach so I'm wondering if its to late to plant for zone 6-7? Its a cool weather veggie..right?
Hope everyone has a great week!!

·
Premium Member
26,245 Posts
You might be able to get baby greens from the spinach. My spring planted spinach seems like it always goes to seed before I get a decent crop.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I saw lettuce plants for $3 each! A head of lettuce diesn't cost that much at the store. I didn't plant lettuce this year since hubby can't chew it, but I now regret that decision. I'm going to try planting some next week in the shadier spots.
Even at walmart the veggie plants are close to $4 each. It's insane. I've been starting most my own seed this year, some of the new plants in the garden were given to me which is a HUGE help.
Meat chickens are ready for butcher, I've gotten a couple of them done but need to hurry up with the remaining ones.

·
Premium Member
26,245 Posts
Lowes has veggie plants 3 for $10. I bought a pack of orange tomato seeds instead. I like the orange tomatoes more than reds and no one ever has the orange tomato plants.

I can't wait to get the current plants in the ground, or at least in spots outside, so I have room for melons and cucumbers.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Lowes has veggie plants 3 for $10. I bought a pack of orange tomato seeds instead. I like the orange tomatoes more than reds and no one ever has the orange tomato plants.

I can't wait to get the current plants in the ground, or at least in spots outside, so I have room for melons and cucumbers.
Prices are definitely crazy this year with plants. It makes me nervous, I have been buying extra seeds for next year.
Which orange tomatoes are you growing this year? Cherry or large tomatoes? I was fortunate to have a bunch of volunteer tomatoes come up here, transplanted a few to where I wanted them in my patch and they are doing well. Unfortunately I have no idea what variety they are. I grew 5 varieties last year. Surprise tomatoes, lol

·
Premium Member
26,245 Posts
The seeds I bought are Jubilee tomatoes. They aren't real big, around 3 inch diameter according to what I've read, but big enough for me to put on sandwiches and chop for salads and tacos. I have Pink Belgiums and Yellow Pear (Pink Belgiums are supposed to be as big as a slice of bread) already up and way too big for their 4 inch pots. If the weather ever warms up the Jubilee will catch up fast.

We've had too many cold mornings for volunteer tomatoes to survive. I'm sure I will have some but it's been too cold for them just yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts