May 2018 Daily Journal

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Grandmotherbear, May 3, 2018.

1. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Tuesday night/wed. morning had a "white night"... total inability to sleep. Been on a email circle for my 50th high school reunion and when I fell asleep lst night dreamt that I was organizing a reunion for my summer day camp. Everybody had to come looking like they had been in 2nd grade. Weird.

CountryMom22 and melmarsh like this.
  2. Grandmotherbear

Woke up at 4:30 short of breath. There are 2 wildfires in the county and they are talking about a burn ban as the fires were deliberately started.

Heading out to the chiropractor today. Think I will ask him to do some mapping on my numb legs and have those spinal sites targeted by the ultrasound tech. GFB has some memories I don't have about near misses with the 5 speed on the Interstate. If those are for real I don't know what I will do as he informed me he is too old and tired to drive to Canada and back on his own. I had some return of feeling on my leg after 1 1/2 years of massage.

Muscles were all really tight yesterday.

3. snowlady

snowlady Well-Known Member

GMB, sorry for all your pains. I have been very lucky to be healthy all of my life.

I hope to be in the yard this weekend. I work til noon tomorrow then look out. It rained an inch this week. We really needed it. I’d also like to get my garden in. DH tilled it for me so I’m ready to go. I ordered a few plants for my landscape. They’ll be in Monday so I need to get that area prepped this weekend. Still looking for a double washtub to plant flowers in. Looking for a bargain. The ones I’ve seen locally were $100-170. That is not happening!

Has anyone tried moss slurry to get moss growing. I have an old cracked cement birdbath that I would like to get moss growing on. I read water, buttermilk and moss in a blender then paint it on. Just wondering how well it works

melmarsh likes this.
  4. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

Grandmotherbear - thanks once again for the link to the new months thread.

We had a line of severe thunderstorms come through Friday afternoon. Usually we don’t get it too bad here being we are down in a hollow with steep mountains surrounding us. But this one affected us. I have never seen such powerful straight line winds before. Luckily the only damage we had was a rain spout came loose.

But the power went out about 20 minutes beforehand. The power line that feeds us comes from the West. As the storm approached we could hear the trees snapping off.

So we were without power for 23 hours. I commend out local utility workers to get the power back on so quickly. With a storm like this they are dealing with hundreds of trees down on the power lines.

We’ve lived here for 20 years without a generator. We brought along our off-grid ways when we moved here. We have water from our spring 20’ from the front porch. We have heat with our wood stove. We have light since we kept our Aladdin lamps. But 2 summers ago I ended up buying a generator for the main reason to run the A/C. After a summer storm around here it gets so stifling hot and humid I just couldn’t take it anymore.

It’s also nice to keep the refrigerator and freezer going. I have medication that has to be kept refrigerated and would be about impossible to replace. Another benefit is our ice cream stays nice and solid. I know....first world problems.....

5. Grandmotherbear

Greetings from JFK hospital. GFB and I were working in the gardens at the lake trying to prepare some pots for sparrowgrass when we dumped in a huge pot of ants. I told GFBI'd be run in the house and get the dish liquid.. got up to the house and fell forward face first into concrete wall
    Scraped big pieces of skin for my hands, down my nose,and
    2 big shiners. GFB took me to the little local hospital to get checked out. They said I was fine. Saturday night I got up after midnight, pushed a batch of papers and juice off the table, and tried to sit next to it on the floor
    Took a tumble cracked the back of my head. Drove back to the city and couldn' sleep
    This has been going on
    weeks. Getting short of breath when I lie where down. Went loc

melmarsh likes this.
  6. melmarsh

melmarsh Well-Known Member

My goodness! I’m sorry. It sounds like not a very fun couple of days.

7. melmarsh

We had our first chick hatch today from our broody hen! It looks like a couple more were starting. It’s pretty exciting for this ex city gal to see nature at work! I’ve been planting like crazy now that there’s no more danger of frost, and have been working on a new pole bean trellis. It’s not fancy but it should do the job. Have a nice evening, everyone!
    Melaine

CountryMom22 likes this.
  8. Grandmotherbear

Awaiting a consult with the cardiology group. I want p go homer! 3^

9. In The Woods

You mean you are posting here from the hospital? How in the world does one do that?

melmarsh likes this.
  10. melmarsh

Awe! We’re up to three chicks that our broody hen has hatched! I’m pretty excited about it, though I do hope they aren’t all roosters. We have too many already. We put one (rooster) in the soup pot, and have another who’s just ornery as can be, so he’s next. That will leave us with two, or possibly three (long story about the maybe third rooster), which would be a manageable number of them. Anyhow, pullets would definitely be my preference! I guess time will tell.
    Melaine

CountryMom22 likes this.
  11. In The Woods

Ahh - the rooster days. I got to the point of having only one rooster. The all day long crowing competitions were too much for me.

12. Jlynnp

Jlynnp Well-Known Member

OMG I hope you are better. Please be careful and have them check you over good.

CountryMom22 likes this.
  13. Jlynnp

Jlynnp Well-Known Member

Last week the neighbor came down and helped us pull out the 20 + year old shrubs from in front of our house, they looked like heck. We have spent this week re doing ever thing. About 2 pickup truck loads of dirt, yards of steel edging, endless bags of mulch, a lot of landscape fabric, 9 Knock Out Roses, 6 Hostas, 6 pots of glads, a new peony and still have 6 Lillies to go then done.

CountryMom22, snowlady and melmarsh like this.
  14. melmarsh

I bet it looks amazing!

CountryMom22 likes this.
  15. Grandmotherbear

You stop pointing out that u had already used the call ell 15-20 minutes ago and no one rèsponded. This dance goes on all night. When they actually have to take you, they stand over you saying " are u done yet?" If you have a shy bladder performance is almost impossible. Everyone zoomed in on my horrible wounded face wanting to work that up. I kept telling them I wasn' there for that, that I had gone to the hospital for that and finally told the hospitality that he would get no Medicare payment on this investigation as it had already been worked up 48 hours ago and resolved and now I really wanted to investigate this shortness of breath that had brought me here in the night. Everyone has been telling me how great my lungs sound, so what else can we investigate? They decided to do an angiogram. About 50% of angioram: can be fixed with a stent. The others are of a variety of causes and need a variety of treatments. I am not sure if they really know what happened to me. I have been asking to be discharged since Friday. The hospitalist wanted me discharged with a medical vest which can deliver a electric jolt if I go into a dysrhythmia
    The insurance company ha been refusing to approve it. I told the hospital I would wait thru yesterday, but today

16. Grandmotherbear

In the woods- I guess it's part of unlimited talk, text, and data?*
    Don' t you think that when you get a ongoing syndrome that a Dr or physician asst or NP should talk to you about 1. Symptoms 2. Treatments 3.overall health. ? I' no longer quite as upset at my insurance company for holding back authorizing this (doubtless expensive) device. As far as Humana knows, all I'e got is hypertension, asthma,and type 2 diabetes, besides the chronic pain. I have never been to a cardiologist or been worked up for cardiology. An expensive intervention should only be proffered where there is a documented need, which didn' t exist in my case. Maybe it exists now. Except....I am a poet, a gardener, a nurse. I see death as a needful part of the universe. Death doesn't terrify me (except I hope it' not approaching too quickly)

I called my primary doc for a followup appt post hospitalization. And the staff said "Oh, is 4pm today not convenient?" After much "who's on first" turns out that someone from the hospital had made an appointment for me. Of course, no one bothered to notify US. I confirmed it was not convenient. The appt clerk offered Wed and was very surprised when I told her we' d be in Lake Placid then. Finally got in tomorrow morning
    Maybe I can get a cardiologist appt and some educational material on heart failure.

Meanwhile, my asparagus crowns are tucked under the Jasmine bushes, waiting for us to plant them. When we got home rom the hospital(city home) we emptied put half a dozen large planters and 2 - 18 gallon planters.to take to the lake tomorrow and get the sparrowgrass planted (Cold or drought can initiate

17. Grandmotherbear

Apparently when you have an ejection fraction between 20% and 30% you can have a terminal aaythmia-leading to death. This vest is a wearable defibrillator. I don't know if I want a defibrillator implanted. Sorta suspicious of the whole medical industry.
    My "almost' daughter says she has developed "chemo brain" from her treatments. She stays pretty woozy. I want to go and see her in Greeneville, but don't want to be a burden. She's lost both her parents, but has supportive adult children and inlaws.
    We worked on planting sparrowgrass crowns this morning and still have a batch to plant. It's not an easy crop in S FL. My goal is more than 1 spear a day during harvest. Ideally we would get a handful of spears which could be incorporated into stir fries. Either cold weather or drought can trigger the dormancy on asparagus.The beans have thickly covered the trellis, as have the red leaved Malabar spinach. These are "easy perennials" being as they self sow and grow so thickly it's hard for weeds to overwhelm them.
    I found an infection yesterday that I am assigning the hospital responsibility for. I am applying manuka honey to it. Somehow basil got into the pots and weeding is becoming a very fragrent venture.
    I hope everyone has a great week coming up.

18. melmarsh

I’d love it if my basil grew like weeds! That would be great. I hope the manuka honey does the trick for your infection!

19. melmarsh

Today’s projects are bread baking and canning rhubarb pie filling. Hopefully I’ll have time to garden a bit, and get in a run with hubby. We’ve run twice this week so far, and I want to keep up the momentum, so to speak. Our chicks and momma hen are doing well, and the rest of the flock don’t seem concerned about the little ones. They just leave them be, probably so they don’t have to contend with momma hen! Have a great day, everyone!
    Melaine

CountryMom22 likes this.
  20. CountryMom22

CountryMom22 Well-Known Member

It's been awhile since I've checked in here. We've been busy getting the garden in, grooming lots of dogs and hubby and oldest son are getting ready for the first tractor/engine swap meet of the year this weekend. The weather isn't looking good, but we're hoping for the best!

Youngest son has had his wisdom teeth out, and that wasn't any fun! I did something to my right arm at the gym a few weeks ago, and although it is slowly healing, I keep forgetting about it and turning my arm the wrong way. Ouch! So it did take a little thought to figure out ways to do what I need to without hurting myself worse, but I think I've got it figured out now.

FIL has had his house foreclosed on and is trying to get a mortgage to buy another. Unfortunately, he is looking in an area that is 1.5 to 2 hours from here, and he and his wife are not in good health. For many reasons, this is stressing my hubby something terrible, and there isn't really anything I can do to relieve his stress. FIL has to be out of the house by August 14, so this will all come to an end, eventually.

Other than that, it's just been the same old, same old. Which around here is a good thing!