Mattress ???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Mattress ???

I'm looking at purchasing a new mattress to replace our old standard mattress/box spring. Does anyone have experience with the memory foam or the sleep number air mattress? I see they are pricey, but you do spend a lot of time sleeping and that time does effect your waking hours.

2. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

We bought the sleep number deal........way overpriced for what you get ( build the base if you're handy....it's just a sturdy plastic box.....could build something out of 3/4" plywood just as good for lot less money )...but I've have to say it works.

Wife has been complaining for years about my tossing and turning ( I've had a lot of joint pain and don't sleep all that well ) and with the split deal, she doesn't feel me move or get up if I need to. I like the fact you can adjust the firmness separately as well....

Overall, probably money well spent.

3. mike3367

mike3367 lost in my own mind

i got one of those foam mattress, it 14 inches thick and for me being a big guy 280lbs it hold my weight very well, and its the best sleep ive ever gotten.
    i got mine from local furniture store and only cost 700 for the queen size

4. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

I make my living supplying mattress machinery to mattress factories. Many of the factories I deal with quit making the memory foam mattresses because they start deteriorating after 2 to 3 years.

5. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

The foams are nice but BIG $$$$$ Heck most mattress are expensive...

6. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Have had a sleep number mattress for over 10 years. I am orthopedically challenged and it is the only way I can get some sleep. We also have one in our 5th wheel.

7. puglady

puglady Well-Known Member

We have had our sleep number bed for a year now, and I love it. I have fibromyalgia, and it has really helped me rest. I also don't feel DH tossing and turning, getting up, etc. We did spend extra for the pillowtop, but it wasn't worth it.

8. BigBoy

BigBoy No attitude here...

What about the Latex mattresses? I need a new mattress also and those look like a good alternative to the memory foam. Anyone with any experience with those?

9. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

We have the sleep number mattress w/ pillowtop. What we like best about it is I can sleep on a super soft bed and he can sleep on a hard bed, second great thing is I toss and turn and he gets up 3 or 4 times - we don't disturb each other. It was worth the money. My only gripe is the base is an overpriced and dinky looking thing, I think we should have just built a base.
    One more caution, while we had a regular king size mattress hubby slept right on the edge of his side, so we just bought a queen size sleep number. Now he's so comfy he sleeps on his back near the middle and the queen is not big enough, unless I want to spend the night with his big shoulder lapped over mine I now have to sleep on my side or on the edge. Buy a big enough bed.

Halo

10. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Can you put the sleep number mattress on your existing box spring?
    I gave my old waterbed away and the guy that has it bought a sleep number mattress for it. He says he likes it, makes me wish I kept it and bought the mattress. He waited them out and got a real deal on a factory reconditioned one.
    I laughed at the recommendation for a big bed. We've got an antique bed which is a standard full size, it's cozy.

11. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

12. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband and I have both had back surgery. We had a regular mattress and box spring. For years he couldn't sleep on his left side. Last winter I bought one of the foam mattress at Wal Mart. It is a genaric memory foam. I gave 169$ for a queen size. We took away the box spring, put plywood down, the regular matterss and the foam on top. It is VERY comfortable. My husband can now sleep on his left side. Most nights he don't even turn over.

Me I still toss and turn, but that's because my hands get numb and wakes me up, from my neck injury.

13. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Decided I sleep better with the 1.5" foam mat (from Vermont country stoer I think) on top of our mattress- unsure if it's the memory foam or how warm it keeps me once it warms up. Might not work in a hotter climate. I only have chronic aches ?FM not any definite arthritis or back injury.

14. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

We have a 20" thick spring mattress with a memory foam top. My husband and I drove around to several different shops in the next city over and tried out every single mattress in the stores. Lay on each one for a couple minutes, kneel on it, bounce on it, roll around on it... even bring your own pillow with you if you sleep with a special pillow.

The comfort is only one of the features to look into, though. Be sure you get a good warranty as well. We were able to get a warranty that will totally replace our mattress or refund all of our money should anything go wrong within 20 years of buying it. Buy a mattress cover to protect it from stains, as the smallest mark will cancel out the warranty.

We have been very happy with ours. Just make sure you test out every possible alternative before buying. You spend 1/3 - 1/2 of your life sleeping... might as well get the best mattress to do it on.

15. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

I still swear by my all cotton futon on plywood.

16. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

We have a sleep number bed and love it. He has had back and neck surgery and I have RA and Fibro. It is the best thing we could have done. I need a softer bed and he likes his very firm. So, this works really well for us.

My shoulders haven't felt this well in years. And he rarely snores anymore. And we sleep soundly! :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

17. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Latex is very comfy, lasts a LONG time and is Clean.....creepy crawly's - seen and unseen - can't live in it.
    Can be hot, though. We were sweating our butts off until I put a featherbed on top of it.
    A wool mattress pad would probably have worked, also.

The 25 year warranty was a plus..

18. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

The heat from a memory foam or a latex mattress was another concern.

19. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    A 4 inch foam on a waterbed matress was the best I ever encountered, looking to another one.

20. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

We have a king sized sleep number bed. I love the way we can adjust our own sides but my complaint is the middle of the bed seems to have a ridge.