mating rabbits (to each other, you perv)

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by slfisher, Apr 4, 2005.

1. slfisher

slfisher Well-Known Member

I introduced my girl bunnies to my boy bunny this weekend. I was told it would be a good idea to re-introduce them about 12 hours later because the initial introduction would induce ovulation in the female. However, though the females held still for the first introduction, the next time I put the first one in she just ran away from the male and wouldn't let him do anything. Does this just mean she's wised up? :) that she's already pregnant? Is there something I should be doing? Thanks.

2. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

She could be pregnant

3. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

yes she may have already 'known' she was pregnant :) ,, 'I' have been told by more experienced people than me ,, to take the doe back 1-2 hours after the first breeding ,, if you have that kinda time ,,

I know some large scale breeders only take the doe once to the cage ,, try to observe 2 matings and thats it ,, One lady tried as an experiment (double breedings) with part of her herd and said she did not see a perceptible increase in numbers of kits or a lessening of 'misses' ,, her deal is with 100-200 does she don't have the time for double matings a few hours appart ,,

taking a doe back 12 hours later / some try a rebreeding the next day ,, 'may' result in a doe inducing ovulation in both horns of her reprudictive parts ,, :no: resulting in 2 litters ,, reabsorption / abortion etc might occur or she might have 2 litters (small babies/ runts?) and not be able to raise them ,,

I personally have never had this happen but I've read posts other have posted about their experiences with double litters ,, Same thing can happen whe you don't know how to feel for babies ME and try a rebreed at day 14 to check ,, some hussy does will accept a buck even if shes pregnant ,, and she can lose the first litter or give birth to it and have another litter 2 weeks later ,, probably losing all in the long run ,,

4. slfisher

That's what I was hoping, actually, that it meant she was already pregnant.

I put the second girl back in there the next day and he went right over to her and she held still for it, so we shall see.

Now to read up on what to do with pregnant does. :)

5. slfisher

Well, one of them seems pregnant, at least; she seems to be doing nest building in there. Must find nesting box!

6. Tiffann4k

Congrats! Keep us updated :)

7. slfisher

She escaped yesterday! I went out to the chicken yard and realized that the black and white furry thing was *not* one of the five black and white barn cats. And I was taking my daughter to kindergarten registration so couldn't stop to catch her.

So she was out and free for at least a couple of hours, but I did manage to catch her when I got back, and she didn't get caught by a cat.

8. Tiffann4k

Yikes! Glad to hear you caught her!

I have two rabbits that I swear know how to open thier cages :haha: thankfully they havent left the barn yet

9. scudema

scudema Member

It's not healthy for rabbits to be with chickens, they should be kept completely seperated. I can't remember the disease chickens have in their manure but it causes spots on rabbits livers. If your raising and selling for meat this can turn your buyer away.

10. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

I believe your thinking of coccidious (spelling bad) ,, that does cause spotts on rabbits livers ,,
    but I've been told by experts that its species specific ,, the rabbits kind is not the kind the chickens carry and vice versa ,, but ,,

you Do want to make sure the chickens cannot poop on the rabbits/cages/equipment etc.. just for cleanliness reasons and parisites and such ,,, if you have feeders hanging on the outside of your cages in the barn and they have no tops the little theives will steal feed too ,, :rolleyes:

Some processors do require that chickens be kept entirely away from rabbits ,, some do not ,, Mine don't ,,

I have a few chickens and have no problems with them being in the same areas as my rabbits ,, under the outside hutches the chickens clean up any waste from the rabbits and they keep the litter stirred up ,, less smells ,,, (the worm population does not suffer :) ..)
    when I had a hanging wire cage 2ft x 15ft - 5holes ,, inside my henhouse ,, I used the 2ft lite plastic fencing I bought at Lowes around the top ,, chickens couldn't fly onto the top of cages ,,

You have to keep them off the tops of hanging wire cages if you put flakes of hay on top for the rabbits to have available 24/7 ,, a scratching hen will have it tore appart and gone :haha: in no time ,,
    I have to 'hide' my bales of hay, alfalfa, n straw in the building with a tarp to keep them from finding and destroying them ,, when I let my chickens out of their pen to 'range' ,,

In 3 years of raising my rabbits around my chickens ,, I have rarely found a spot on a liver ,, when we butcher ,, maybe I've been lucky but I've had no problems ,,

at this time I have a total of 9 chickens ; 3 big hens , 1 bantam roo , 5 bantam hens ,, I try to never have more than 20 and thats always a mix of big breeds and bantams ,, they are just for a few eggs , pets , pest control :p

11. slfisher

Thanks, that's good to know. The rabbits are in hutches off the ground, the chickens do go underneath and play in the rabbit manure but don't go on top of the rabbits' hutches nor into their food.

12. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll have any problems then ,, Others will get quite insistant than you can 'Never" ever have them near each other ,,

but I personally feel ,, that if your taking care not to let the chickens poop in/on the cages ,, feeders or their hay/straws ,,

that the chickens help with odor and fly control by scratching under the cages ,, they clean up most of the waste too ,, I quit filling my chicken feeder up ,, and now I just put a scoop a day for them ,, makes the chickens scratch around hunting more ,,,

13. slfisher

well, I put in the nesting boxes the other day, with a bunch of hay, and one of the rabbits has added a whole lot of fur to it.

The other one hasn't, so I'm wondering whether I was wrong and she's not pregnant.

14. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

=======

Hello Slf ,, Does she appear to be bigger ?? if you bred on the 4th which is your origional post date ,, she's not due till the 5th ,, some does pull fur early as you say your one does has ,,, and some will not pull fur till the 'minuite' the kits are being born ,, :haha:

save some dryer lint in case she don't pull fur ,, or if the other doe has pulled 'lots' harvest some of hers and keep in a bag ,, I've had does pull fur for days after giving birth ,,, I have a big bag of extra fur from half a dozen does I save a lot from nests during the summer months ,, when they don't need it ,, for use in the winter & emergencies ,,,

the does may give birth different days even if you bred them on the same day ,, I've had does go one day early ,, and I used to have a BNZ doe that would go to late 32 - 33 days all the time ,, once she went to the morning of day 34 ,, I was :bash: with worry ,, she was so big I knew the hussy was pregnant ,, I swear she kept looking at me like I'll do it when "I'M'" ready :haha:

If you marked the exact date & she looks pregnant ,, if she hasn't had kits by day 32 - 33 you could feed her some parsley (I have been told this helps start the labor??) ,, on day 33 - 34 you could put her in with the buck to see if she breeds and watch carefully imediately afterwards ,, I've been told that if a doe is pregnant and late ,, putting her in with a buck will induce labor ,, I've never done either ,, myself ,, I count the days and if there is no birth by day 36 ,, then I rebreed ,,,

15. slfisher

good information, thanks.

They were both bred on April 1st.

16. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Slf ,, I checked my breeding calendar ,, if bred on the 1st ,, they're due on the 2nd today ,,, :haha: as long as your checking the hussys won't produce :)

,, I've had times where I know I'm wearing a path out in the grass going out to the building to check ,, hub thinks I'm nuts when I'm going out at 11pm to check and then again at 5 am when he gets up ,, I can't help it :D

they'll probably wait till late this afternoon or tonite just to tease you :)

17. slfisher

Well, I check them when I feed them, so that's morning and late afternoon.

Nothing as of yesterday...

18. slfisher

One dead baby on the wire, no indication of any other babies, alive or dead, in either of the two cages. :-(

19. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

:waa: ,,,,, :grump: ,, sorry she didn't do better ,, the other doe may yet have kits ,, hopefully ,,, :)

mmmm well I wait till day 36 myself ,, before I try a rebreed ,, I can't palipate (sp?) to feel babies so I waste 36 days if one misses ,, I did have 2 cal does once ,, sisters I raised from 8 wks old ,,

both missed first time I tried breeding at 5 1/2 mnths ,,

1 took second try 6 1/2 mnths ,, 7 kits 1st litter ,,

third time I bred the other at 7 1/2 mnths ,, I threatened bbq the whole 31 days :haha: ,,, 8 kits born when she was 8 1/2 mnths ,,,

20. slfisher

I was wrong -- I do have babies after all! They were just a lot deeper in the nest than I had expected.

I didn't want to freak out the mom or the babies so once I'd reached my hand in and realized what I was touching, I pulled out, so I don't know how many there are.