Mating question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by lonelyfarmgirl, Feb 6, 2005.

1. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

So what do you do when your does just plain refuse to give it up?

2. jensue

jensue Member

First I would put her in a cage between 2 bucks, if possible. Then, after 2 days try and breed again. If she is reluctant, hold her down and pull her fur by the scruff of the neck. This will get her rear end into the air (at least her tail).

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Is she getting at least 12-14 hours of good light a day? If not, she needs it to signal her brain that the days are longer and it's time to mate.

Is she overweight? If so, she needs the weight off. Fat can build up around the ovaries and inhibit ovulation.

4. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

[plenty of light, not overweight, and I have tried holding them down. I have babies that I bred and raised that are now 1 1/2 yrs old that I have never got to breed. Other suggestions?

5. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

1 1/2 yrs !!! :yeeha: ..... dumplins ... rabbit pie ... Southern Fried ... soon as possible and replace with a productive doe :haha:

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

First of all take her for a car ride just a quick one then try her, and if she won't give in you'll have to put your hand under her and raise up her hips, so he can breed her. I never cull young does for being shy the first time or losing their first litter. Usually They learn the ropes and become good brood does. Those that don't become good baked does. However mine would have been baked does by 1 1/2 years if you can't get them to breed this month. I'd cook em.

7. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Totally agree with SherrieC and Tucker...How old are your does when you normally try to breed them and what breed are they? You may be waiting too long, since fat tends to build up around does' reproductive organs as they get older. I've also heard that putting the doe in the buck's cage and the buck in the doe's cage overnight can help--something to do with the doe getting a lot of the buck's scent or something. But if you keep having trouble, get a new doe.