Math challenged-nutrient (feed) question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nans31, Jul 19, 2005.

1. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

Bear with me here.... I'm probably making this way harder than I need to. Hopefully I can clearly ask my question...since it is all jumbled in my brain!
    ~~ A nutrient- say oats for example-- shows that {DRY BASIS }Calcium is 0.07% --- how much oats needs to be consumed to get that amount? It doesn't make sense that 1/4 cup is the same as 1 cup (to me).
    Hope it makes sense... Nan.

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

0.07% is a concentration. Theoretically, any volume of the oats will have the same concentration of calcium.

If you what to know how much calcium one would consume from the oats, we first have to have a weight (or volume plus density) of the oats to be consumed. For instance, if one consumed a pound of oats, there would be 0.0007 lbs of calcium in it (or approx. 318 milligrams).

3. mulliganbush

mulliganbush Well-Known Member

Nan, you may be confusing it with human food labels that show that one serving provides 7% of the daily adult requirement of calcium.

Lots of numbers, way different meanings.

Ray

4. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

Yep Ray- that's what I'm doing. Trying to think of it along the same lines. Thanks Cabinfever-- that's what I needed to know. I'll have to mull it over, even seeing it simply laid out like that still is confusing! nan