mater plants turned white?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Hurricane Kurt, May 21, 2006.

1. Hurricane Kurt

Hurricane Kurt Well-Known Member

I put about 8 of my starts in a raised bed Friday and the leaves on almost all of them have turned white. Three different types but all have same symptom, mortgage lifter, roma and brandywines. They looked good and healthy before i planted them, about 7 weeks old. Never had this happen before.

Anyone know what this is and what if anything I can do for them? Anything I can do differently for my other starts to prevent this from happening?

Thanks all... Kurt

2. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Could it be sun scald? Maybe you didn't harden them off enough?

Nikki

3. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I know they can get pretty pale if they get too much water... :shrug: I hope they come around for you!

4. Melissa

Melissa member

It has been pretty cold here. Have you had any frost?

5. Hurricane Kurt

Is sun scald terminal???

I have had them off any heat source for about 3 weeks in the basement under grow lights, it probably averages 65 down there.

Melissa I just planted them Friday so no frost. It is going to get pretty cool tonite though, about 42.

Kurt

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I'd try giving them a quick nitrogen boost to see if that greens them up. But I would just do it as a sort of 'shock' treatment and once absorbed from one good dose of something like miracle gro (high nitrogen), I'd back off and if they begin to revive green and go easy on fertilizer for at least a week or so, then do a routine of compost or manure tea weakly. If you have crushed egg shells, tomatoes benefit from the calcium as they grow later to the fruit stage. Remember don't over nitrogen them beyond getting the white out, if that is the problem to begin with? Could be the rains depleted the nitrogen. :shrug:

7. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

You obviously didn't harden them off and took them right from the basement to full sun. They got sun scald just as you would get sunburn if not exposed slowly. No other cure but time will bring them back around at this point. If they survive at all, they'll be set back considerably. Next time, follow instructions to harden them off by setting them outside in the shade for periods of time to acclimate them to garden conditions.

Martin

8. Sis

Sis Active Member

I bought three yellow pear toatoes that turned white on the edges. I pulled them up and moved two of them to another part of my garden incase something was catching about them. I threw the other over the fence. The two I moved I pinched most of the leaves off of and now they are doing really good. Green and full of blooms.

9. Hurricane Kurt

Well 6 of the 8 I planted are toast. This is my first attempt using a grow light for maters and did'nt harden them like I should have before planting. In the past I started my seeds in a large window and after it warmed up enough the windows would be open, maybe this was enough hardening since I did'nt run into this problem then. Live and learn, I sure appreciate the replies.

I put the rest of my starts out under the carport this morning and will bring them in every evening for a good week before planting this time, hope they fair better then the others.

Peace.. Kurt

10. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

what are maters? :shrug:

11. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

Tomatoes, of course! :D

12. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

Kurt,

I've never been great about hardening off seedlings in the past but by planting on overcast days and covering the plants with shade netting for a week or two after setting out they always survived. Skimping on the hardening off is probably not a wise plan though

13. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

Kurt, we grow tomatoes in a greenhouse and caught a mystery virus last year and lost them - 288 total. This year we fungicided and cleaned greenhouse as usual, planted tomatoes, sprayed EARLY for spider mite,etc. and they look fine. But for insurance we planted 80 outisde greenhouse in holding garden we had. Hubby in a hurry and did not harden them first. Heat and wind took their toll and they turned white, too. He thought he might have added too strong a transplant solution. But it has never happened before and he was "warned" to take his time and harden them first. I'm sure that was your problem. Most of them we just watered well, pinched off the bad leaves and they look fine now.