Mastitus

Discussion in 'Goats' started by farmmaid, Jan 14, 2007.

1. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a boer doe that is due Mardh 11th. She has had mastitus which I have teated with "Tomorrow" and shots. While treating her I would milk out "cottage cheese" and some blood. She now has an utter with just blood in it. It has been 2 weeks since treatment. She never appeared sick at all. Now what do I do? She always nurses the kids, what do I do when they are born?...Joan

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

What were you giving in the "shots"? There are different forms of mastitis, you may need to treat it with something else. I've never used tomorrow so I have have experience with that, the only case of mastitis I had in a goat, I treated by simply milking her out several times a day and treating her with Sub q penecillin g 2X a day (3 CC) for 5 days. Cleared up just fine. She may need a culture done to see what she's actually suffering from. You have a couple of months to clear it up so don't panic just yet.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

You aren't supposed to milk the doe and use ToMorrow. If your doe is lactating, you use ToDay (two treatments). With ToMorrow, infuse into the udder at drying up, or if they get mastitis while dry... Since she's due to have kids soon (or so I gather) She needs to be dried up anyway. Stop milking her and infuse a tube of Tomorrow in each side.

ETA: kids CANNOT drink mastitic milk, they WILL die. Get a CMT test and use it regularly on the doe, wether you milk regularly or not. Make SURE that doe's mastitis is cleared up before she kids. If not, you'll need to bottle raise her kids. Also, watch for udder damage. One of my mini does has scar tissue at the base of her teat that doesn't allow milk flow to that teat any more.

4. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

The doe is dry but I have been "milking" her mastitis side to get the "stuff" out...Joan

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Well for treating mastitis with ToMorrow, you stop milking, even to get the 'stuff' out, at least as far as I know. Otherwise the treatment has no time to work. If you want to keep milking it out, you could try using ToDay instead, and see if that works.

6. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

Just got to ask what were her symptoms? And why are you milking a Boer doe who is due to kid in March :shrug: