Mastitis?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BlessedMom, Feb 13, 2005.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm about ready to take our milker to the vets.
    I went out to give her the vaccinations. those are done.
    But while I was out there I noticed that her left teat was very full.
    Now mind you, we dried her up in December.
    The teat was slightly warm but very full, not engorged.
    I tried to milk it out. It was plugged and some stringy white goo came squirting out too. It definately was not milk. I didn't have a container with me to see what color it was. It didn't look bloody though. Now the other teat still had what looked like milk in it. about 2 or 3 squirts.
    Is this mastitis?
    If not, what happened?
    If so, what do I do?
    Should i just take her in to have her looked at?

Thanks,
    Lori

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

yup, sounds like mastitis to me. the faster she gets meds, the better. that is what it is. I would say pretty sure. so get meds, to day, or in the morning , if your vet doesn't have a home number you can call.

3. BlessedMom

There is a large farm store on the way home from dh's work.
    He could pick something up for me tomorrow.
    What should we give her for this?? She is around 175 lbs.
    Should I milk it out if it swells again or leave it be?
    The vet is far away and honestly, because of my work schedule I would not be able to get her there until Wednesday.

Thanks,
    Lori

4. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Hi, I also have a doe with mastisis. We give her 8-10 cc pen-g for at least 10 days and get you a box of TODAY for cows. You must milk out the bad side then insert one tube (its really very easy,just have someone hold her so you don't get kicked) a day up to five doses. They have the TODAY for dry or lactating make sure you get the right one for your purpose. The tube will have 2 lids, take both off and the tip will be small enough to be inserted in to the teat tip. Be very very clean we you do this and wash everything after you are finished or it will get into the other side or in another does if you are milking any.Always handle this doe last so that won't happen.

JR05

5. BlessedMom

Thanks for the information! I'll have dh pick this up!
    We are not milking at all right now so that should help!

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

can you give pen g, if they are preggers?thanks

7. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Yes, but ask your vet on the dose. Mine usually tells me over the phone what is needed and for whom. I do know that he (the vet) strongly advises don't use LA200 on preg does, but would rather you use pen-g.
    If you are not milking then use the TOMORROW (same as today but for non-milkers). A web site I like is fiascofarm.com . It gives some basic information to get you through until you can see or talk to a vet. Hope this all helps, good luck!

JR05

8. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

A few years ago my saanen had a similiar thing when she first came into milk after kidding...it wasnt mastitis...but I dont remember what...but the advice I had was to warm a towell and hold it around the udder to help soften it. I jsut did that and made sure she was milked out but didnt have to med her with anything. At the time I remember a friend saying that there were a few people that year with goats doing the same thing.
    The fiasco farm site has a fairly detailed udder and milk section to read.
    I hope your goat is doing ok now. Goodnight. :)

9. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I don't believe pen g passes the mammary barrier. An oxytetracycline does, but with your doe being pregnant please ask your vet about this. If your doe is being milked right now use the Today. If she is being dried up use the Tomorrow. Wash the udder, use an alcohol pad to clean the end of the teat so you don't introduce any more bacteria into the teat, infuse the infected teat. Back strip the medicine up the teat into the udder and massage well. If you are using Today, milk her out each day and reinfuse with Today for 5 days. If you are using Tomorrow, just infuse the teat and leave it be for 2 days. Milk it out again using the same procedure outlined above massaging any areas that may become hard and reinfuse with another tube of Tomorrow then leave her alone until she kids. By the time she kids the meds will have been absorbed by her body. If the udder gets hard spots in it massage it and use warm damp towels on it.