mastitis

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Christina R., Apr 3, 2006.

1. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

I did a CMT test on Corabelle this am. She had one quarter that shows signs of slight mastitis. The local feed store has a product called tomorrow. Should I start using it or just keep milking her until the signs are gone?

What are the drawbacks to using a product to treat mastitis?

2. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

DO NOT use tomorrow-- it is a dry cow treatment.If you want to use a product from the same company, you would use TODAY or any other tubes for LACTATING cows.IF it's not that bad just milk her out and use warm compressesand massage. I've been using a product with peppermint oil called Cai Pan with good luck on light cases. If you use any tubes you wouldn't want to drink the milk until the discard warning on the product says it's ok.Most dairies here will use the throwaway milk for calves or hogs.

3. Christina R.

4. milkinpigs

I really like the Cai Pan stuff.It's massaged on the udderand no antibiotics involved. it really helps with heat and swelling. My mom uses it on her arthritic knees and gets a lot of relief.

5. Christina R.

I don't have the stuff you mentioned, but I just came home, looked at her, and the one spot that seemed hard is down. I'll check it again tomorrow, use hot compresses on her, and milk her out. I think I precipitated it by going to an every other day milking. I'd rather not use antibiotics too. I remember Willow Girl used to talk about a product, but I want to deal with this now. I'll let you know how it goes.

6. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

What's in the Cai Pan? Wondering if I could duplicate it.

7. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

Peppermint oil, tea tree oil, mixed with a base lotion or any heat inducing ointment like Vicks vapo rub seems to work for me. Some say the Japanese peppermint oil is best but I have tried both and did'nt notice a difference.

8. kesoaps

Easy enough! Thanks, Tom.

9. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Christina, the product I mentioned earlier is Uddermint, and after flogging it enthusiastically for free for years, I actually sell it now as part of my current job! (I think they owe me some back commissions, don't you? lol)

Seriously though, it's kind of expensive ($27.50 a bottle, because it's packaged for a commercial dairy, which is going to use a lot more of the stuff than someone with just 1 cow). Of course, if you have arthritis or tendonitis or a bad chest cold or something, you could always use it on yourself! I put it on my bad ankles; it works better than anything else I've tried, including Naproxen (Alleve).

Uddermint contains Japanese peppermint oil. I haven't tried any similar products so I can't say how it compares to the rest. That peppermint oil sure is good stuff, though! And it smells sooooo nice. :)

10. milkinpigs

I think it's the same thing.I've seen pics of uddermint in Select Sires sire directory.The bottle and label looks the same except for the name.

11. milkinpigs

The Cai Pan sells for19.95 at American livestock supply

12. kesoaps

They look like the same product, just different labels.

Trying to read up on 'japanese' peppermint; seems it's higher in naturally occuring menthol than the other varieties. The menthol is stripped, for the most part, and used in other products. I've got methol on hand, but wonder if that would be too strong (although I do use it on my aching muscles.) Hmmm.... I can hardly see the reason for spending $20 on something I can make for $2 :monkey: