Mastitis? worming and withdrawl

Discussion in 'Goats' started by No Regrets Farm, Jun 17, 2005.

1. No Regrets Farm

No Regrets Farm Well-Known Member

I have a two year old goat who did not kid this year. About a month ago, I noticed that she was developing a small bag, indeed, she had a small amout of milk. Odd, I thought. I asked around and a few people told me that its not totally uncommon. If I want to keep her in milk, keep milking, if not, let her dry up. I have two other does that I am milking, so I decided to let her dry up.

This morning when I went to check on them, her bag was HUGE, hard, hot, and very tender. Last night when I checked her, she was normal.

I called the local vet and explained what was going on. He ordered a prescription of Cephlaxin for her and told me to milk her out two time a day. He didnt want to see her, which kinda concerned me, since I am not able to diagnose what is really going on. I am just guessing...do you think that is what it is?

Another question, I aquired a new goat, which in turn brought many worms to my facilities. Her fecal this morning shows that we need to run the whole herd on Albon and Fenbendazole (safeguard). The vet told me that I would have to call around to some other cities to ask the vets what dosage the fenbendazole I would use. *grumbles about vet* Do you know what dosage is safe? Also the vet was uncertain about withdrawl on milk.

Please help me out.

Thanks,
    Cindy

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I do not use safe gaurd on my goats, that you get from the farm store.
    I get my wormers from the vets, as the yare cheaper, for me to get from him, andI use sevral different kinds.
    now for the udder, go the the farm store, and get a product called today, it is sold for milking cows, but wroks wonders in goats, use now tube for each side of the udder, and also give pen g, or what your vet said, for 5 days.
    I use about 6 cc's. but I have huge nubian does.
    I would get the today , started right a way, you must give twice a day, at 12 hours apart. I have used it i=on one doe, for as long as 10 days, and she became fine. but her whole udder was hard as a rock, so I rweally needed to get this done, and kept her milked out, milking twice a day, at 12 hours apart. hope this helps and good luck.

3. No Regrets Farm

No Regrets Farm Well-Known Member

I sure wish I could say that my vet is cheaper on meds. He even charged me $15 for my *less than 5 minute* phone call. I would much have preferred bringing her in to have her seen as long as I was paying for it. But, alas, he didnt have the time to see her.

I milked Lily out..or tried to. One udder is "normal" and had about 1 cup of milk that I got out. The other udder was the painful one. About 4 hard lumps about the size of golf balls and baseballs. Her teat was a solid hard mass, too, before milking. We got about 2 cups of a yellow/green/whiteish almost curdled milk out. I could tell that there is more, but she just couldnt stand it anymore. I will try again later to get more out of her.

I've also noticed today that she is having some nasal discharge. I left a message for the vet again to make sure that the Cephlaxin will also help her with that. She is on it for 2x per day for 10 days.

I hope Tractor Supply Company has the item that you mentioned, Today.

Thanks again for your help!
    Cindy

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

A virgin doe with an udder is said to have a percocious udder. The problem with them is that they usually are lopsided, your first clue that it is likely mastitis. If it was truly hormonal the udder would come in even. I have had true percocious udders on 3 month old kids here, I do not choose to milk them and because they will have this extended dry period I do infuse them with a dry cow med (tommorrow or Pirsue).

You now have mastitis in the doe. Milking her probably kept it at bay, but now that the udder is not being milked it is their with a vengenance.

You will have a very poor ending if you only choose to use the mastitis infusions. Cephlaxine is the same drugs as what is found at Tractor Supply in the Tommorrow and Today infusions..... Cepharine Sodium. Cephalack, likely what your vet carries works well also. Do not use any Erythromycin based infusions. You infuse cleaner than you have done anything in your life, or you can make things worse. You also want to use a systemic antibiotic along with the infusions. If you use the infusions alone you can drive the staph (which we are all of course guessing this is it, without a milk sample sent to a lab you have no idea what bacteria you are dealing with) into dormancy, than it will come back again when she freshens. So use penicillin along with the infusions, 3cc per 50 pounds of any 300,000 unit pen, give the shots under the skin, and as long as she is ill, painful udder, nasty infected milk, fever, you need to also give the shots religiously every 12 hours. You may need to give the penn for 10 days. If the masitis walls off into cysts inside the udder you may want to choose to just cull the doe.

We also add banamine 1cc per 100 pounds because it stops the swelling/inflamation and also helps with pain at milking time. Gentamycin added to the infusion and also given systemically will keep scar tissue from forming. Probiotics, and of course under the skin fluids if she is dehydrated.

For myself if I can't have a functioning udder at the end of this process I do not want to have the doe, why I don't choose on chronic masitis to do anything but use meds I know will at least work and give me a good functioning udder at the end of the treatment.

If you do nothing or didn't act quick enough her udder will be cold tommorrow, first her teat, which will darken, then her skin will slough. Go to saanendoah.com and read on malignant edema and gangrenous mastitis, it's what is in your future likely this time of year with this doe.

Albon is for coccidiosis, all healthy goats have cocci in their systems. It won't hurt her to be on Albon orally especially with her soo ill. Safeguard is worthless as a wormer, you need to ditch the vet advice, go to jefferspet.com in the livestock section they have wormers we all use. Nowhere, no time is it cheaper to go to a vet than to treat her yourself and buy your own meds from vet catalogs like Jeffers, pipevet.com, valleyvet.com etc... Yes we need vets for perscription meds. But just from the info you have given to me on the board he doesn't know much about goats, hasn't even just gone to a referesher course or even opened an internet site from the University in your state that has all the new info on worming and goat meds. He/she would not perscribe Safeguard/Panacure/Fenbendazole as your wormer unless you had tapes, and then he would also know tapes are not a problem you worm for in adult goats.

Vicki