Mastitis question

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Kathy B, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Kathy B

Kathy B New Member

My milk cow has just been treated with gallimycin for mastitis and the milk has cleared up fine. The quarter is still hard though, is this normal? It's only been three days since her last treatment.

2. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Yeah, some inflammation is normal. I would use Uddermint on her if you have some, or just make sure the quarter is completely stripped out. If she becomes symptomatic again, you may need to re-treat. Just keep an eye out; as long as her milk looks normal she should be fine.

3. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

Try mixing peppermint essential oil with lanolin or udder salve and massaging the mixture into the hard quarter. Applying warm compresses along with the massage should help with the inflamation. :cow:

4. Kathy B

Kathy B New Member

Thank you so much for the information. I'll try what you've suggested.

5. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

When out of Uddermint I've had luck with Vicks Vapo rub.

6. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

yes it will take a while for it to go completely normal, but you should notice it getting smaller(the hard spot) I would massage it , it is a pus pocket and the stuff needs to be broken up.( i my self have had mastitis, i feel for the poor gal) :eek:

7. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Speaking of this udderly interesting topic ;), couldn't resist. Either way, has anyone ever tried or heard of trying Preperation H? I know show people use stuff on some animals to take down some of the swelling. Well, models have been known to use Preperation H around their eyes, to reduce the swelling.
    We used some on a cow that had a hemaroid, it worked...

This isn't for mastitis, just curious about that other little deal..

Jeff

8. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Tom, next time you run out of Uddermint, let me know, I would be happy to sell you some. It's in the product line that I stock. ;) :)

I use Uddermint on my ankles occasionally (I have heel spurs which causes them to swell) and it works great. Doesn't give me a rash like capsaicin products sometimes do.

My boss says you can put Uddermint on your chest like Vick's when you have a cold (I've never tried it though). Seems the two just might be interchangeable! :D