Mastitis! HELP!

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by TexCountryWoman, Mar 26, 2006.

1. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

My Great Pyrenees had 6 pups 3 weels ago. She has developed mastitis in several of her back teats. They are big and red and have some small palpable lumps and feel somewhat warm, but not super hot yet. I can milk them aout a bit, they are not clogged but i can't completely relieve them by any means. She has also scratched them up or the pups have. BTW, the pups are big and thriving. I think she should have had more pups with all the milk she has. I have been feeding her goat colostrum from last year, cleaned out my freezer. And a bit of goat milk. Perhaps I need to cut back on her diet. I have not been pouring the food to her the whole three weeks, but trying to keep her fed. She is a working dog on our ranch and I have to put food out for the other two big dogs.

My question: I have LA 200 on hand for my dairy goats when they develope mastitis. It is a broad spectrum antibiotc, oxytetracycline. I am wondering if it can be given to dogs. i will not give it to her without reasearching it, but i thought I would ask here about it and also for some general advice about dog mastitis. I have dealt with it in dairy goats and in myself several times when i had children.

Any advice? The earliest I could possibly get her to the vet is the day after tomorrow, Tuesday......Thanks

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I've been google-ling and i doubt i will even think about the LA 200 any more as oxytetracycline was not mentioned as a drug of choice.

3. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Tetracyclines can cause permanent discoloration of the teeth in pups. I wouldn't give it to a nursing mother. Penicillin would probably be safer.

4. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

Ceflexin twice a day 200 to 250 mg. Warm compreses to the teats involved and try to gently massage the lumps and bumps out. Milking them to get out the bloody milk would be good. Also it is not a good idea to continue to let the pups murse on those teats. Taping them off is a good idea.
    Alice in Virginia

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Actually, it is a good idea to let the pups continue to nurse when an animal has mastitis. The milk will flow out better with the little ones helping it along. i have to offer a different opinion there. The momma dog is not getting worse and the milk is not bloody. The pups are very actively sucking the milk from the engorged teats. i trimmed the very sharp claws on the pups which were drawing blood on the mommas teats and she is happier about them nursing. There is no signs of gangrene or any type of ulceration going on. I reduced the mommas calories a bit as she has just so dang much milk. She only has six pups and they are fat and growing well, but way too much milk for them. I will try to get a ride to the vet for myself and all these dogs. I live way out in the boondocks and not able to drive because of meds I take so we'll see what happens with that. We are FINALLY getting some rain here in central Texas after being in severe drought mode FOREVER and I had to find a place to move the pups were they wouldn't get wet. I hope the momma leaves them where I put them and doesn't put them back under the deck. Thanks for yalls help.

6. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

Shower massage her with hot water, and massage those teats. My first female dog regularly got mastitis as she produced too much milk, but it never progressed due to my (vet approved) shower massages and consistant monitoring.

7. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Thanks seacreatkees, i wish i could shower massage her, but i can't bring her into the house and don't have a shower head that would reach.. I will see if i can take some hot water out to her and use warm packs on them. Thanks for your input.