Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our oldest sow has mastitis (her thir litter with us,but first time with mastits). She has three teats that are kinda hard and swollen. She doesn't act sick, still plays with her piglets and still eats fine. How do I treat it? Our large animal vet does not treat pigs and there are no other large animal vets around. (He is the only one that does farm animals plus horses) so I'm pretty much on my own. And we want to rebreed her bc she is our best sow. Any advice would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know nothing about mastitis in pigs however, I've had it before when I was nursing my kiddo. The advice was to hot pack and massage, repeat, repeat and repeat. Maybe this will help?:shrug:

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Is piglets nursing from them? That's the best solution but if not next would be LA 200 per instructions. Or a crumble antibiotics she can éat if you dono want to give shots.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Is there any way you can put some cold crushed cabbage leaves on the affected teats? This works wonderfully for humans and canines. I don't know how you would manage it with a sow, though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We've tried the cabbage leaves, and that seemed to help our sow. We also gave antibiotics, because she did act very depressed and sick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts