master gardener program

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by countryboy01974, Mar 24, 2006.

1. countryboy01974

countryboy01974 Well-Known Member

well since it is gone I'll ask again who has been through the master gardener program in your state ? what did you think of it?I'm interested in it but the closest classes are a 45 min. drive from here don't think making the classes would be bad but the volunteer time might be hard to get in that far away with work getting in the way of things(work is always interfering with my leisure time lol!!) from what i've read most of the work for your time requirement is during the week .I read that there was going to be a program here in my county but that was supposed to have happened last year and then again this year haven't been able to find out if there has been or will be a program here :shrug:

chris

2. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

I went to the classes last fall. If you want to know how to use a hoe, forget it. I didn't know much, and a lot of it was over my head. If you are already a competent gardener, there's lots of information you can use. Once you are a junior master gardener, you have a year to take 10 more hours - and at this point, all the classes are free. Keep on taking classes and you just get better and better.

You can choose your hours. Volunteer to help an elderly couple (or single person) create and keep up a garden. Work with a school to offer community ed classes. This year I will be working with a woman in the country who wants a garden. She just had twins (and a C-section) and is limited in what she can do. Some folks help churches plant gardens to provide fresh veggies for the local food bank. There's a lot you can do if you so desire.

3. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

Took the class in 2002. I loved it and it made a big difference in my gardening. Different states have different requirements for volunteer hours, even different counties can vary. Here, the volunteer requirement is 35 hours in a year to become a Master Gardener, 60 for the Advanced title, plus there are educational hours to meet each year in addition to the beginning class. There are usually lots of committees to choose from to get hours accumulated, and lots of different activities. I am editor of the monthly newsletter and I put in about 8 hours a month.
    I encourage you to try it! If you don't want to be an official Master Gardener, you don't have to do all the work, but the knowledge you gain will help you immensely!