Massey Harris # 3 Baler

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by junkertyge, Jul 26, 2006.

1. junkertyge

junkertyge Active Member

My Massey Harris #3 Baler(same As Mf#3) Tied Well Last Year. This Year It Tied Well For The First 30 Bales And Then Broke Down For Other Reasons. Last Time I Tried It Would Tie On One Side Or The Other But Not Both. Now It Is Not Tieing Either Side. Turning It Over By Hand It Seems Ok. Any Suggestions?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

What exactly is happening? Not tieing at all so you don't even get two ends or you get ends with no knots or makes a knot on one end and leaves the other end out, makes the knot but then cuts it apart, makes a knot but then won't drop it so it pulls it apart? If you get ends but no knots, it's most likely the twine holder tension is messed up. It's the spring loaded clip that holds the twine as the rest of the knotter forms the knot. It could be rusted tight or filled with crud but that tension has to be correct to work. So before you tear it all apart count how many turns it currently has so you can put them back once the holder is apart for cleaning. My books are all for NH so details for a Massey Harris won't be in them. I will look up other possibilities.

3. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

ON my old number one, MH, YOu had to soak the knotters with oil, to get them to tie right, and the needles had to be exact,

4. junkertyge

junkertyge Active Member

Thanks For Advice. Cleaned Knotters And Soaked In Oil. Went Down One Windrow And Saw One Knot But Mostly Just Cord Laying On Top The Bales. I Put Three Loads In By Hand And Will Work On Baler Some More. I Have The Manuals.