Masset Ferguson 135-worth it or not?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oz in SC, Jul 12, 2006.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Locally there is a MF135 for sale.

Comes with a 5ft bush hog and scrape blade.

Not sure on hours but is a late '60s model(1968 I believe)
    The seller says it is in very good shape...diesel by the way and has 'multi-speed'....whatever that is :p

However-no power steering OR FEL which would have been REALLY good.

Asking $5000 obo.

What y'all think?

2. PineRidge

PineRidge Well-Known Member

That's funny, dh just traded our 4 wheeler with mower for a MF 135, i think it's a '68 or '69. It's coming with a hay rake and 2 botom plow :) and will be delivered tonight. Anyway, the asking price was $4200 with the rake, added the plow after negotiating. DH looked at the prices on Ebay and a couple of used tractor sites and found prices anywhere from $3500 to just over $5000, depending on condition. We figured it was a good trade since it's in good shape and we don't exactly need the 4 wheeler.

HTH

3. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

You'll soon be missing power steering. And check the brakes. Sounds about like what they ask for them around here, but I would offer him less. When was the last time the fluids were changed?

4. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

MF 135's are very good tractors if well maintained. Not having the power steering probably won't be that big of an issue since there is no FEL on it. From experience, I've found that lighter tractors without 4x4 and power steering just don't do well with a FEL. That being said, I think those are the features (4x4, FEL, and pwr steering) I would look for most in a tractor. For some perspective, take a look at these tractors on e-bay. This company seems to sell a lot of "stuff", but I've never bought from them. As for the tractors (in the bid links), I've never had an AGCO, but after buying a Kubota, I don't think I could ever be tempted to buy another make. They are the Toyotas of the tractor world...I think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BID_Stores_IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-KUBOTA-L28...2QQihZ003QQcategoryZ91953QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

5. beowoulf90

beowoulf90 Well-Known Member Supporter

A '68 MF with a diesel would most likely be a Perkins Diesel ( this is who made MF's diesel). I have a '67 MF 2200 backhoe with a 3cyl Perkins diesel and it runs like a charm.. I can still get parts from my local MF dealer, so that's a good thing. The 135's seem to be fairly common, so you should be able to get parts for it also..

Good luck with whatever you decide.

6. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I like Masseys with Perkins. Have seen two 135 sell at auction in last couple years. One went for $1600, ran good but rear engine seal leaked (look under tractor where engine block bolts to housing and wiggle little cotter pin that is loose in a hole on bottom of housing-- if oil gushes out, well you get the idea) One went for over $5000 at different auction and my jaw dropped. It didnt run any better than the $1600 one but there was less of a rear main leak. Frankly its a light utility tractor couple steps above a Ford 8N and for me personally I wouldnt consider giving much over $2000 for one. But thats me. It might be worth more to you or in your area. My opinion, for same money you could find a 50 hp tractor which isnt lot bigger size wise, but lot more powerful and useful. For example, it will handle a front loader. In Masseys of that vintage, you would be looking at a 165. I gave $2200 for my Massey 65 which is the next older generation of the 165. Saw another MF65 go for $1800 this spring. Seemed to run ok, but I didnt look close at it since I didnt want another tractor, so it may have had some problem I was unaware of.

7. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with HermitJohn, I'd take a look at a larger tractor. The downside with a MF65 is that you won't have ROPs. The only other thing I can think of is that the 65 is almost double the weight of the 135. Know where your local (to the property) shop is. Pickup and delivery fees can cost you. I can haul an 8n or a 135 with my truck and trailer but couldn't haul a 65.

My recommendation is to get more tractor than the minimum you need.

As usual, just my 2 cents.

Mike

8. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Dig around yesterday'stractor.com at their sale link. Lots of machines for sale their.

9. HermitJohn

Couldnt find weight for MF65, but MF165 should be very close. Dry weight of it is 5700 pound. I would think a 3/4 ton pickup and strong double axle trailer could handle it.

And MF135 diesel is 3400 pounds.

10. HermitJohn

Took me a bit to think what a ROP was. Assume you mean roll over protection? Actually one I bought came with a commercial roll bar with canopy installed, quite heavy duty. Along with square style fenders from a 165 or 265. I'm sure there is some interesting history there why this tractor was retrofitted. The bar is appreciated on hills but does get in way mowing under treeline branches.

11. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    Traded my Massey 135 (60s) in on my Kubota in 95.Got $4000 for it then.Love that Kubota.Massey 135 is a very good tractor to start with.Mine served me well.They don't have ignition heaters and may be hard to start in winter.

12. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a MF165 too, and it was a very strong tractor. It was used for most of the rough clearing at the farm, and I "snaked" many logs with it (milled for lumber for the house). My brother bought it from me and still uses it routinely.

The upsides: Very strong, very dependable, and even given its size, it was miserly with fuel. It did have the Perkins engine, which I think is a plus.

The downsides: It's big and not as easy to maneuver in tight spots (for me anyway). I could never find a ROPS for it, and the darn thing was so heavy I didn't want to trust a "home made" unit. You can easily spin the tires out and make it more roll resistant...but that makes it even harder to maneuver in tight spots. It didn't have 4 wheel drive, but the weight of the tractor made that less of a factor. The boys did sink it in the swamp on a joy ride once, and it took a big Cat to pull it out of the muck.