Maryland Questions?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BASIC, Sep 18, 2005.

1. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

Anyone live in Maryland?How are the taxes,land prices,employment,etc?Thanks.

2. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

It depends where you are thinking about.....stay away from Baltimore, D.C. area and certain areas on the eastern shore....other parts are the eastern shore are great or western Maryland is even better...Alot of older people are moving to Morgantown WV, I think taxes and proptery is much cheaper....

Maryland...
    Population 5,300,000
    Agriculture:
    33% of the land is used for farming
    350,000 people employed in agriculture
    12,200 farms averaging 172 acres
    Average gross farm income $137,300
    Average net farm income $18,200
    Broiler chickens ranks 7th among states in production
    Climate:
    Rain – average 40.76 inches annually
    Snow – average 20.6 inches annually
    Temperature – average 55.1º F - summer average-80º-winter-mid 20’s
    Economy:
    Unemployment Rate – 4.7%
    Average weekly income - $669
    Headquarters for: Black & Decker & McCormick & Sweetheart

3. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Employment is good and salaries are high. Housing is outrageously expensive if you are anywhere within 90 minute drive of DC or Baltimore. Example - small rancher with a basement, carport, 4 bedroom 2 bath, addition on the back with master suite - $325K is the asking price. This house is 90 minutes from Baltimore and 90 minutes from DC. Oh - its on 1/4 of an acre.

Where we live - 2000 sq ft house built in the 70s on 7 acres - $475k. And we are out in nowhere. But within the 90 minute radius.

Housing prices are going up daily as more people move in and other residents move out to the "country." Traffic is bad around the cities, but the roads are constantly being repaved and widened.

Property taxes are not bad. Better than PA and NOVA.

But, there are a huge number of educated consumers with a lot of disposable income willing to pay premium prices for local farm products.

4. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Don't live there now, but did many, many years ago. One thing I found extremely interesting - and at least true at the time - was that land is not deeded to you "in fee simple". In other words, you do NOT own the mineral rights to the land -- you only own the topsoil portion of it -- I believe it is the state that retains the right to any minerals, oil, coal, gemstones, gold, silver, etc. that may be found on it. It is theirs and they can come right into the middle of your apple orchard, bulldoze the whole thing, set up an oil rig or some kind of mine and start working there without so much as a by your leave and you can't do a darned thing about it . . . at least that was my understanding of the way things were at the time I was there.

MaryNY