Martin\Tope REstate...Westcliffe , Co. ??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, May 11, 2006.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................I visit the Martin\Tope Realestate website fairly often to peruse their listings under vacant land . They have some fairly Low priced lots\acrage that I can only assume must be fairly remote and generally not close to water or Utilities . Was just wondering if anyone here abouts has transacted any business with them or actually viewed any of their land listings ?? thanks , fordy... :)

2. texican

texican Well-Known Member

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

5. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I found my land on the Westcliffe website, which includes many M&T listings.

http://www.custerguide.com/home.asp

You're correct to look at details regarding water. My land has a well, as do many others. New wells will get meters due to over-drilling in the Arkansas River Valley. There are many good deals available, and I have no reason to suspect M&T as anything other than reputable. They are probably the biggest area realtor.

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

Gobug , thanks , I had a feeling that you might be along the Hwy 50 area somewhere . I was in Salida in Aug of 1998 and went 4 wheeling with a friend for a couple of weeks so I have very vivid memories of how scenic that area is . I'd like to find 5 acres or so , IF affordable and build some kind of small cabin . Thanks for your help . fordy... :)

7. Jessikate

Jessikate Well-Known Member

Fordy,

Gobug is right on the money as far as water goes. The technical term is "over-appropriation". In order to drill a well you will not only have to meter it and keep readings, but you may be required to get Augmentation Water. This is water that is released in your name when a "Senior" water right does not get it's decreed ammount and places a call for water.

If anyone out there is looking at drilling a well or is needing water information on the Western Slope of Colorado, I will be happy to help, as my day job is with a Water Conservancy District and I am well versed in a majority of the water law regarding the Western Slope. I will also be able to put you in touch with someone who would be able to help you localy in case you aren't near me.

Ask me nothing about the Eastern Slope, they have such a mess over there. Just turned down a job with DWR because they wanted me in Denver - HAHAHA, right, like I'm going to move to the smog after spending the last 30 years living in and protecting these beautifull mountains!

8. flaswampratt

flaswampratt Well-Known Member

We have met with one of their realtors in the past, and will be back in the area in mid June scouting around and getting to know people.

Martin and Tope is a good outfit, but as with all real estate dealings, buyer be ware. We've spent the last few years getting educated about the area, determining what we want and saving our pennies.

ALOT of the offerings for sale are either in a covenanted (deed restricted) subdivision, or are remote and water is real "iffy".

Conversations with area well drillers left me with the impression that a well was going to cost 10K+.

The local county commishiners are toying with the idea of implementing building codes, plus a host of other small town moneymaking venues.

The best thing we ever did was get the local paper delivered to us down here, we are able to keep up with the happenings.

Work is sparse and low paying, self employment is more lucrative, depending on what you can or are willing to do.

Feel free to PM me, I don't live there, yet, but the family and me have invested a considerable amount of time, money and prayers developing our plan to move there in the not too far future.

Best Regards....

<///><

9. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

........................Jessikate , flaswampratt , I appreciate the offers of help . Hopefully , I'll be visiting colorado before the end of the summer after I've settled my affairs here in texas . I'm kinda stuck here until I sell my home but things can materialize much quicker than we realize so maybe that will be so for me . thanks , fordy... :)

10. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Judging from what I know of Colorado, the parcels I peeked at on the site are for the most part, exceedingly remote and pretty unbuildable. Forget ever getting power or phone to those spots, and probably cell phones won't work either. Colorado has a lot of beautiful (some folks think) remote property, but it isn't worth much unless you want to live in a tent and live off the land (until Winter, that is). It might make an ok bug-out spot if you can hike in materials to build something that is secure, and then hike in bug out supplies. But of course, WATER will be a huge issue since, most probably there won't be any around anywhere.

Not my cup of tea, but surely someone would love it there. I'd certainly VISIT live and in person before putting a dollar down, however. And find out about the water too.

donsgal

11. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................Water definitely could be a problem . But , I'm going to send off for some of those Indian rain Dancing tapes and see if I can learn the steps !!LOL....fordy... :hobbyhors

12. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

donsgal said
    No offense donsgal, but the only truth in this statement regards cell phones. Coverage is spotty at best.

There are very few properties listed so remote that no ammenities are available. Nearly every small acreage lot is very accessable and buildable. Many larger lots have multiple excellent building site possibilities.

If you specify a well on the advanced search you'll find 5 acre lots starting at about $25,000.

Fordy -- Considering your purchase will be funded by the sale of your existing property, you will have no difficulty finding a beautiful site with any or all of the attributes you desire.

The website will give you some idea of prices and improvements, but there is no substitute for driving around. Many properties for sale are not listed, but have signs posted. Driving around is the only way to find them.

Flaswampratt and Fordy -- When you're ready to visit, get in touch with me. I would enjoy meeting you and showing you around my "neighborhood."
    Gary

13. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............Thanks gobug I'll appreciate a "guided tour" . I exchanged several emails with a lady agent at M\T and we both agreed that the only way to purchase property , and BE happy is to actually see it for ourselves . Soon as I can get my business finalized here I'll beable to visit colorado and look around . I'll let you know prior to my leaving texas so we can exchange info . Thanks , fordy... :)

14. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

By the way, Fordy, if you like this type of scenery check out the San Luis Valley. There are several subdivisions there which were split up in the early 1970s and did not sell very well. Most are broken into three - five and ten acre lots and many, many, many of them can be purchased for back taxes only. Check the Costilla county courthouse in San Luis for a HUGE HUGE list of these properties. (San Luis Ranches and Rio Grande Ranches, are two that come to mind).

But again, check out the water rights situation and electricty availability.

donsgal

15. flaswampratt

flaswampratt Well-Known Member

Donsgal is correct that there is more affordable property in the San Luis Valley area. The entire area is primarily agriculture with either center pivot or flood irrigation. There is an abundance of water under that particular valley floor, but ironically the area is touted as the largest high altitude desert in the world.

Lots of wide open land with veiws of the Sangre de Christo and SAan Juan mountain ranges. San Luis Valley Ranches is sparsley populated with the predominant growth is of sage brush.

Sangr De Christo Ranches is has mountainside lots, hills and ravines, with lots of pinion pine. Not all roads in the subdivision are year round access.

Land in this area is quite affordable, 5 acres can be had for as little as 6K, or as Donsgal stated, for the back taxes, but you'll be competing with local realtors. I've come to beleive that alot of the properties available are the result of disallusioned property owners that found out after buying the land sight un-seen of the difficulties of bringing power in, developing water or the lack of work in the area.

Smacks of a real estate land scheme.

It is, on the other hand, secluded, remote and beautiful. We may at some time purchase five acres or so in the more remote area of the Sangre-De-Christo ranch for a retreat/hunting base.

Thanks gobug for the offer, you have a PM.

Best Regards...

<///><

16. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

My parents bought land from them about 12 yrs ago. They were very happy w/ them. My father passed away in '00 before they could build on the 13 ac. They had more trouble finding someone to build for the price quoted than anything. Builders would quote one thing and then add expenses and padding.

Several years agter Dad died, Mom sold the acerage and again she was happy w/ Martin and Tope. I was at the office once but don't know about them personally.

Land in WestCliff is going up fast. It is a really beautiful area. Good luck w/ your searches.