Marsh marigold

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by jackie c, Feb 28, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I've read somewhere that part of the marsh marigold is edible, does anyone know what it is?

2. dla

dla Well-Known Member

The book "My Side of the Mountain" which chronicles a young boy's self-sustaining adventure describes him as eating Marsh Marigold (but of course it is a fictional book). The copy I have shows a plant which has a growth habit much like a spring violet (which we have some of growing here and at our last home), but there are also Marsh Marigolds which are 3feet tall!
    Our local botanical garden said that everything which blooms yellow in the wild early in the spring is marsh marigold...
    All of which is to say I'd be double-sure of whatever part I ate if I were you!

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

jackie,
    I just read about the marsh marigold yesterday in the Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening. It is supposed to be edible at the early blossoming stage when the yellow flower just exits the bud stage. It's supposed to be a sort of peppery tasting addition to salad.