Mark's NAIS Odyssey

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MarkSykes, Dec 19, 2005.

1. MarkSykes

MarkSykes Well-Known Member

Having read the dreadful things the nefarious Guvmint will do to those stupid enough to drink the Kool-Aid and actually become entangled in the National Animal Identification System (NAIS), I selflessly decided to risk the independence of myself and family and go ahead and register, reporting back to the HomesteadingToday board my progress and pitfalls.

Step one is to register your premises, and to do that, you need a User ID and Password (this URL good for Ohio). Already, a cloak of secrecy. Obtaining a user ID involves surrendering your name and address. A subsequent screen asks you to confirm your address against an entry in the USPS/911 address database! You'll probably be denied your mail deliveries or ambulance service if you don't fully submit to the terms and conditions of animal ID!! Oh well, I'm healthy and just get bills anyway.

After that you are forced to reveal the very inner workings of your formerly independent lifestyle - i.e., is your place a farm or a slaughterhouse or a rendering plant, etc. I selected farm. The next page demands contact phone numbers, cell numbers, pager numbers, email addresses and even a Web site URL! Already feeling a mindless impulse to Reveal All, I fill in a couple of the blanks. The last screen feigns free choice as you specify a username and password, but we know better. I complete it and already feel the Shackles of Servitude heavy on my limbs.

Next the site registration. I'm to provide a name for this location - they suggest 'Back 40' or 'Barn #2' - I want to go with 'Goat Free America' but that sounds too much like an America without goats. Okay, I'll use a more mundane 'Barn and Henhouse.' I specify my breeds - goats and chickens, but they have both 'chickens' and 'poultry.' The USPS/911 database has my latitude/longitude pegged down to six decimal places! Oh man, I'm a goner now.

With this final screen, I'm congratulated for completing the registration process. As I type this I can hear military jets outside, but I think that's because I live next to the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. I picked up the telephone but I couldn't hear any extra clicks, just the normal dial tone.

I will report periodically what happens to me and my family after getting this agricultural Mark of the Beast. That is, if They let me.

Fleaple Wake Up,

2. mrs.H

mrs.H Romans 8:28

Smart alec!!!! :rolleyes:

3. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've already got Rickenbackers military helicopters and planes flying over my property. I'm trying to train the ducks to hide under the tree when they hear planes. LOL

I am very glad my back yard is not visible from the road. Now to get the privacy fence put up on the east side and the only neighbor that will know will be the one that is very fond of duck eggs. I wonder where the large scale pot growers get their camo cloth they use to hide their crops from aerial surveilance. A whole new market may be opening up for that product.

4. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Maybe I just look at this as too simple. Have been reading up on this also and received back in the spring a form from the state but it somehow got lost on the way from the mailbox..just couldn't find it?? :cool: But.I figure they can't enforce the dog license law because people just don't or won't license their dogs so how are they going to enforce this law against every "living creature" on your land. I realize that our "leaders" are smarter than us..??...but I would like to see how this is really going to be done. Guess times will tell.. so I'm not going to worry too much over this..until they are at my door which will probably be sooner than I would like it to be.. Get a grip...Uncle Sam..you can't keep the illegals out of this country and the drug dealers so how are they going to figure this one out. I think they are depending on us law abiding citizens to do the work for them. I'm all for ..helping family...Uncle Sam..but ..I just don't seem to have enough fingers and toes for counting that high for the number of my homestead critters. :1pig:

5. affenpinschermom

affenpinschermom Well-Known Member

This whole issue is so much bigger than so many realize. I personally find it frightening. This kind of control won't end here.
    So many times I regret moving here to Ky. but this is one time when I feel it is an advantage. I see no way they can police this thing and things are very slow to change here. ie, we still have no building codes here. Eventually, it will catch up with us here, I have no doubt. They already are posting articles in the local paper about animal registration, but so many here in this are don't read or write. How exactly will they be able to comply? They can't write out their own checks here at the grocery store, how will they keep up with the paperwork involved with notifying the gov. each time a chicken croaks?
    I see tax dollars flying out the window again.
    Does anyone know, is Canada doing this? Europe? Just wondering.
    We need to figure out a way to breed camouflage pigment into our animals. lol

6. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

We need to have a tea party and make a stand. This policy flys in the face of freedom. These folks can make fun of it if they like, but when the only food available to them is powdered milk from China or juiced up chickens from who knows where ... they'll wish they'd been serious about it. To tamper with our most basic right ...to produce our own food is abhorrent to anyone who thinks.

7. MarkSykes

You know, I hadn't thought of it that way. Think of the terrifying precidents of when the Guvmint stepped in and slapped a number on somthing:

1. Cars - no tickee, no drivee (to stick with the Chinese theme). You can't operate a motor vehicle without filling out an application for a license plate PLUS another one for a driver's license. Those poor illiterates in Kentucky were banished off the highways since they can't fill out forms. Hence, no cars, anywhere.
    2. Guns - since gun control, there aren't any guns outside the military and police. The reports of shootings we hear on the radio are obviously fabrications. People with concealed carry permits? They're part of the Big Lie.
    3. Radio/Television stations - Radio was originally unlicensed until the Communications Act of 1934. Then, you couldn't transmit without licensing from the FCC. Now, see the results - empty radio and TV bands, and no satellite packages with 500+ channels of stuff. Unlicensed CB? Doesn't count, as each CB radio has an FCC type acceptance number on it.
    4. Businesses - Taxman demands a quarterly 941 and the top line thereon is for the Employer Identification Number. Again, a number gets put on something and the Guvmint snuffs it - there are no more businesses around.
    5. Currency - The preposterous scheme to put serial numbers onto each dollar bill is what wiped them out of the hands of the citizenry. Now we don't even have anything with which to buy that powdered milk.

So, you're right. The action of the Guvmint regulating and putting a number onto something always results in wiping out that commodity. Well, on the bright side, I'll save money on animal feeds.

8. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

How is Canada doing?

To tell you the truth I really don't know! Most gubbmint operations are kept under someone's hat until they decide to kill 50,000 more trees and send out a wack of paperwork in the mail.
    I believe it won't be long before TSHTF on this one too. Have to keep up with 'murican Jones ya know!
    So far I think I'm safe, from checking out my house on Google Earth all one can see is that there is something "white" on my patio. No garden, out buildings, not even the rooftop!
    ...and given the fact that most Canadian Military Aircraft CRASH while taking off, I feel confident that my animals will be safe, for the time being !!! :D

But seriously, this is really a bunch of BS ! And I wish you all the best, we're rootin' for ya'll!!!!

9. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

Good post. But do you really think the jews in WW2 really thought that they would be sent to concentration camps if they registered? It took years for the framework and the logistics to take place. If this programs turns the way I think it will I wouldn't expect things to get bad until 2010. Why? Wi-Max (wireless connectivity for 30+ miles) would have replaced wireline to the house. You can RFID you animals and they will know how many you have on a farm (am I making this up? take a look at www.cisco.com they already have it inplace for retail stores http://www.cisco.com/web/strategy/retail/RFID.html).

How can the gummit really see my farm? Well you can Google Earth now, (and this is available to everyone) do you really think the gummit can't do it live (I would question how many they could do at one time as they don't have that many satellites inplace, but that can be corrected).

The gummit can't even handle animals laws and enforce those now how would they do it across the board? If the perception of a plague were made known (think avian flu but with more hype) do you think the gummit would have the $ to allocate assets to hire more enforcement agents? Or make it so that you get a reward if you turn someone in who hasn't registered?

Speaking of the avian flu, why have so much press coverage for something that really killed less than 100 people. Its not even close to epidemic proportions, more people get killed from bicycle accidents and lightening than the flu. Why the coverage? Perhaps it a practice run at something bigger or to plant the seed of things to come. But the gummit alloted billions of $'s over a few deaths, what about if the numbers were higher? Look at how fast they got the air marshalls on the planes after 9/11.

Ask the survivors of WW2 camps and ask if they would be paranoid about registering for this. If any flu breaks the genie is already out of the bottle (meaning if the flu goes from human to human) as the strain will already have changed on a molecular level and killing the animals truly is closing the hen house door after the fox got in.

Just my .02 worth

10. MarkSykes

Can you imagine the manpower necessary to sit around and see how many animals there are? This will wipe out unemployment this nation. That's good news.

Wow, and here they had just been getting in a vehicle and driving to a place and eyeballing it. So, your point is, they can see what isn't hidden.

My guess is, since we don't hear of masses of WW2 camp survivors refusing car and driver licenses or social security numbers here in the U.S., that they wouldn't feel any more apprehension about getting an agricultural premises number than signing a deed with a plot number.

11. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

Mark, you ist yust a goot kine citizen.....der kind vee LUV !

Vee ist yust von de GOVERNMENT and here to help you.

[​IMG]

12. MarkSykes

Once again, my interest is only to serve as the canary in the mines, as the litmus paper, as the crash test dummy and confirm (or, just perhaps, refute) everything said about the consequences of signing up with NAIS. So far, we're going to have nothing to eat but powdered milk and chicken and the Jews will be put back into concentration camps. Or something.

I will report monthly or quarterly as to what happens now that I've gotten a premises number from NAIS. I'm in my early forties so I should be good for the next quarter century at least.

13. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

Andy, you're going to tear a muscle streching like that.

14. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

the goberment is getting bigger. I for one I getting more suspious of the sorce of the avain flu. How do we know that the goberment didn't inject those chickens with the flu???
    The hawks get most of my chickens anyway.
    tnborn

15. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

Alright. Well, based on that, I think this discussion has derailed.

16. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

You might as well register now as it will cost you a fee later on. If you raise healthy livestock you have nothing to worry about. Just think about your kids eating in school, don't you want to feel a little bit more confident that their food is OK. I know its seems like treading on our rights, but that's the way it is sometimes.

17. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Stupid question here....

How are people supposed to know about this request to register? Until I saw this posting, I didn't know that Ohio was involved. I admit, I don't watch TV, nor read the paper. But I'm assuming that I can't play dumb and get away with it.

How, then, do they expect to notify people? It is unfair to assume that EVERYONE reads a paper or watches TV.

Until these threads, I'd never heard of it.

Uninformed Chris - in Ohio

18. MarkSykes

I received a notice in the mail that I should register my 'farm.' Since I don't sell stuff and my land is under the local legal definition of a farm (5 acres or more), I figured it didn't apply to backyard livestock folks and threw it away. My younger and wiser neighbor tipped me onto the facts that soon the NAIS number will be necessary to sell across state lines (even to other individuals), and likely will be necessary period.

It's a hassle, it's intrusive (but mildly so at this point) but the bit about tracing outbreaks of disease in the food chain makes sense, particularly if you've read All Creatures Great and Small. Wartime England was constantly on the lookout for anthrax, brucellosis and hoof and mouth, and their government would summarily destroy a smallholder's entire herd if any was found. They had to keep their island-state's food supply healthy and unthreatened. Circumstances are a little different nowadays but the principle applies.

Or so I'm told.

Mark

19. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

I once lived in west central Ohio, near WPAFB actually I lived in clark county then. I got a little notice from a government agency on a postcard. Since it was a postcard I treated it like junk mail. It was a subpeona for Montgomery county court system. Seems like a while later I had some business in the city of Fairborn (Greene county) and they arrested me and extradidte me to Montgomery county. If I remember correctly it took 5 days to get out of jail. So I pay more attention to government notices. This does not mean that I will not ignore them (NAIS).

Another little known thing about WPAFB is that "Murphy's Law" was supposed to have originated there. :cowboy:

20. apirlawz

apirlawz playing in the dirt

Mark, this is, among quite a few others, one of the reasons I'm dead-set against this.

Say that I've spent the last 10-20 years working on a strain of chickens/goats/cattle...whatever. Now, someone's herd/flock in my county/township comes down with a case of whatever the disease du'jour happens to be. In a fit of hysteria, all herds/flocks in the area are tested. An animal in my herd/flock comes back as a false positive (Anyone want to venture a guess as to how often this happens in ag disease scares? Not as rare as you might think.), and I'm totally wiped out, generations of herd building and selective breeding down the tubes, with nothing to show for it except a nominal reimbursement per animal, if I'm that lucky.

My farm is almost totally closed. I pay very close attention to my animals, and if something crops up, I'm going to see it, and do everything in my power to keep the rest of my herd safe. Those who buy from me know exactly who and where I am, so if anything needs to be traced, the "source" is a phone call away.

NAIS for the small farmer is nothing more than unnecessary government intrusion...pure and simple overkill.