Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my first two brand new litters of Blanc de hotot in the nest boxes today and need to foster two popples. The wife just called and said the nine are perfectly marked, with no sports that would be easy to identify. Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can mark them so I can keep the litter records right when it comes time to tattoo??? If I put a dot of permanent marker on them would the smell cause a problem???

Tom

·
Amanda
1,138 Posts
You could try some blue kote on them, and then take a cotton ball with vanilla on it and rub it on the babies and then the mamas noses.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I put permenant marker on a bunch of bunnies that I had purchased to indicate the does. It wore off in no time, so I had to resex the whole batch of 21 bunnies. I also tried fingernail polish, same deal.

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
I'm just bumping the thread hoping to hear more answers :eek: :D

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I've used food colouring - blue or green seem best - to mark kits. It doesn't last forever, but in the coarse hair of the hind feet traces linger for a long time. I was marking black bunnies and that was the only place anything would show up. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got home and we went we though the boxes. Ended up that there were nine in one and six in the other, so we fostered one. Marked him with nail polish and hope for the best. In reality both the does are littermates, and bred to the same buck so the genetic problems of making a whoopsie would be minimal. What is really interesting is my inexperianced eyes cannot see a miss marked popple in the bunch.

Very Cool.

We had a disaster last fall when something raided the cages outside and killed all of our does. These two does were donated by a wonderful lady in Seattle and transported by another great guy who was coming to SD hunting.

This is the first breeding, and if it continues as well as we have begun we just tripled the herd.

THe weekend will tell a bunch of the tale though.

Fingers Crossed!!!!

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts