Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
REPOST FROM THE PET FORUM:

I need help!! :hair

In August we adopted a 6 year old male Pug Pekinese mix. He had been living with a family from our church for the past 4 years. They had 5 dogs at the time with this guy being one of the smallest. When they heard we were looking for a dog of this size, they offered him to us. They thought he was getting bullied by the bigger dogs and his response had been to "occasionally" mark.

When he first came in the house, he immediately marked about 4 spots and was chastised for that. He has never marked again in those spots. Over the next few weeks, I found that he had gone in one spot a couple times. He was chastised again for these.

During the last month and a half, it has gotten really bad. He was consistently going in the bathroom and one bedroom. I cleaned these areas with the special cleaner and again chastised him. When it continued, we got Belly Bands for him. He just went in them. So we were continually washing them and changing the pads. The vet gave me a prescription for estrogen to try and knock down the need to mark. He's been on that a week and no change except that it causes him to drink more and need to go more!

The worst time is at night. I take him out at 10:00 and then again at about 8 in the morning. For the last few mornings, I have found that he has gone heavily in the pad and Belly Band and it doesn't seem to bother him.

At this point, I think we are left we no other choices than to crate him at night. We have a very large travel crate (solid sides) that he could go in but we would have to block off about half of it to restrict his livable area.

Anyone have any other suggestions? If the estrogen was going to work, should it have done something by now? Please help before DH leaves me!!

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
small crate and take him immediately outside when you open the crate door. Lots of praise when he goes out. Watch him and limit him to kitchen or other area where he can be watched and floors can be cleaned and disinfected. At his age, he may never stop marking, but you can make it easier to "catch" him before he goes and take him out.

Other than that, I do not know if the habit can be stopped entirely in an older dog that will pee in a belly band.

My dog won't even to in her own yard, we take her to an empty lot down the street and she goes there. She is sometimes too fastidious for her own good :)

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
I didn't see you mention if he's neutered or not. I assume he is because your vet would have recommended that, right? I'd definitely crate him at night! And restrict his access to rooms where you're not able to supervise him. Other than that, keep a very close eye on him, and every time he even acts remotely interested in a spot, make a loud distracting noise ("AAAAATTTT!" or a can filled with pennies) and redirect him. If that doesn't work, I'd keep the belly bands on him or switch to regular diapers (may be easier to toss instead of wash, and they just wrap right around the belly too).

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help! Yes, he is neutered but that didn't happen until he was two years old. I put a maxi pad in the Belly Band and the band usually isn't wet so I can just toss the pad. We've gotten the big crate down and I'm getting ready to clean it up. I'll block off the back to limit his area. He does get praise when I take off the band and it's not wet.

·
Legally blonde!
3,318 Posts
If he was mine I would go back to the basics and act like he is not house trained. I also wonder...could this be a bladder issues versus actually marking? Marking generally is a small amount and if he is really filling up pads it makes me wonder if he is actually becoming incontinent?

Justine

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
You've also been given a mix of breeds that's very independent minded. :) You may never be able to change his ways.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Check for an UTI. If he's marking..he's not housebroken. I don't care what people say...I've had intact dogs and ZERO marking in the house and if they're caught...it's ONE TIME DEAL! After that they know pretty much only marking outside is ok. Thunder booms if they try to raise their legs! The problem is people are lazy when it comes to small dogs and housebreaking. They don't want to clean up the itty bitty pee spot because it's so small and they don't want to bend over to clean it up and eventually the dog thinks it's ok and keeps on doing it from then on. I've had small intact dogs and big intact dogs and no marking in the house.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would also suggest getting him checked for a UTI. Do you or your husband wear perfume or cologne? If so, when he marks, clean it up using an enzyme cleaner, then sprinkle your perfume or your husbands cologne/after shave(whomever he views as alpha in the "pack") on it. A dog trainer told me about that trick, it reinforces that you or your husband are the alpha members of the pack, and it works well!

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He spent last night in the crate with no complaints or whining and didn't have an "accident". He had the Belly Band on this morning after going out and eating and it was wet about 9:30 (took him out at 7). I'm beginning to think if he is wetting the band when he's overly excited. He had been racing around the house with his cat buddy and then was barking at a dog outside. We haven't put the band back on him and we'll see if he can control himself with normal potty breaks.

I did call the vet this morning and we've stopped the pills. I'm going to take a sample over next week.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Reactions: DamnearaFarm

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I have fostered several dogs, most were not housebroken. My rule is to use a bellyband with all males for a week. This way, the first time they mark they are sorry. If there is a second time, they are sorry.

U

·
0 Posts
I have fostered several dogs, most were not housebroken. My rule is to use a bellyband with all males for a week. This way, the first time they mark they are sorry. If there is a second time, they are sorry.
Please elaborate on what you mean by marking , wetting the band ? & what makes them sorry ?

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Male dogs will lift their leg on a piece of furniture and pee. Some of them will come to us simply not housebroken, others are marking their territory. The first dog that did this did it twice. Each time I yelled at him (in shock). I then put a leash on him and walked him to each of the spots and gave him a treat for not marking.

The second one peed 12 times. Boy was I mad, especially since I’d been on the phone for over an hour with his previous foster home and she hadn’t told me. That fellow got a belly band for a few days. I’ve used them when I wasn’t sure. Since I have an intact male, other males are more likely to want to mark.

A belly band is a strip of fabric. You put it around the dog’s waist, like a bandage, and use velcro or snaps to close it. Most of them have a pocket so you can put a ‘diaper’ in to soak up the urine. When the dog lifts his leg and pees, no urine gets on the Chippendale. However, he will feel the urine against his skin, so it is uncomfortable. It is best to remove the belly band once outside, not do it inside in case it has been ‘used’.

·
Registered
560 Posts
My son's husky turned 1 year old here while back.and he started peeping in the house, which he hadn't done since he was house broke as a puppy. (Thank goodness we have concrete floors. ) I started watching him closely for a day or so, and realized he couldn't help his self...my husband reached down to pet him and he peed right there in front of us. He looked ashamed of him self, so I took him to the vet and sure enough he had a bladder infection, after a shot and a round of antibiotics he's back to normal......might wanna have him checked.

·
aka RamblinRoseRanc :)
5,066 Posts
Maura, she said she's been using the belly band and he doesn't seem to care that he's wet.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I have 2 male Pekingese, one is 8 and the other is 7, both neutered.
They will both mark in the house at night, regardless of belly bands, or putting them out, or whatever. I am at the point I think it's just a small bladder issue.:hair
What we do is simply pick up the water at night when we go to bed. No more issues.
Mind you, we go to bed at about 10, and they are put out right before, and I get up around 4 or 5 am, and they go out right then as well.
Before we started picking up the water, we used pee pads, in the places they went, those worked out really well, just had to pick them up. I simply got tired of buying them.

Reactions: light rain

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to everyone for your ideas. We have not been using the Belly Bands for the last several days. We have been using the crate at night and he hasn't been whining about it. If I'm going to be out for several hours, I close him up in the dining room and he hasn't gone in there during those times. I'm also keeping the door closed to the small bathroom which was one of his favorite spots. After I put him in the crate last night, I found that he had gone in the small bedroom (another favorite spot) probably while we were working outside. I've put a gate up so he can't get in there.

I have seen him go once right after he and the cat were racing around. I think that was excitement pee. When they have been playing the last couple of days, I remind him that running is okay but peeing is not!

He seems to be pretty much housebroken but seems to need the "reminder" course!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Another idea may be to teach him to ring a bell to go out. I picked up a set of 'buzzers' make for a family fude type home game. My husky picked up on it quick and rings the bell when he wants to go out. My older dog used it for the first time yeaterday when she needed to vomit! I found she had eaten a small stack of rawhide chews.

The buzzer/bell is so much easier for me- although sometimes the dog just wants to go out to dig a hole! :hair

1 - 20 of 22 Posts