Marketing Pot-bellied pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by mem, Dec 12, 2005.

1. mem

mem Well-Known Member

Hey folks;

My soft-hearted wife adopted 7 pot-bellied pigs that had been showing up at our place for a few days. Well, some good food and 3 weeks later, one of the females gave us 7 pigs on Saturday. The other one should give us some later this week.

My question is -- what do I do with all of these pigs? Unfortunately, I am too soft-hearted to barbecue them (not to mention that I'd be sleeping on the couch if I did). Is there a market for these little guys? I know they used to be popular as pets, but I think that that went out of fashion. I often see people with them at the first Mondays flea market down here, but I'm not sure how well they sell.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a bunch

2. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I take some pictures and post them on Craigslist (www.craigslist.com), asking $50 per pig. We've had two litters and haven't any trouble selling them.

3. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

The new movie Yours mine and ours (remake) will make them popular again. I have one as a pet and love him dearly he is almost 8 months old now. Though the market for them isn't what it used to be there is still a makret for them. When the new barn gets built here in a couple of years I am thinking about getting another one. Sorry I can't help you out right now. No room in the barn. I would advertise them when they get a little older. And if the older ones are on your list to find homes for pick the nicest ones and sell them as pets. Some people do eat them and there is a small market for that also.

4. hayzor

hayzor Well-Known Member

Mem - Where are you located?

5. mem

mem Well-Known Member

We're in Texas, just south of Dallas.

6. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Just correcting the link :) http://www.craigslist.org