Marketing angora problems

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by TerriA, May 10, 2006.

1. TerriA

TerriA Well-Known Member

Hi! I raise French angoras mostly, have one litter of English angoras and for the life of me, no one seems interested in buying bunnies!!! I have a friend who lives an hour away who advertises everywhere and she can't sell hers either...

Now I realize that Nebraska isn't the "hot bed" of angora growers <G>... but we have some EXCELLENT lines here that are fairly new to the area that no one else has. There are 2 other breeders and they are having problems selling their young bunnies too.

Any ideas?? I have considered spinning demonstrations, etc.. any other ideas are welcome! I would like to be able to market the bunnies as a true dual purpose (at least the FAs.. EAs are a bit too small and cobby <G>). Meat and fiber... but to present it to the public is hard in the middle of cow/pig country.

Thank you!
    Terri

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Terri, I have no idea. I look at an Angora type rabbit and while they are lovely they seem like a lot of work. Now, I'm not someone who knows about wool or spinning, though. Do you have any heritage type days or celebrations during the summer that you could set up a booth at? I think your idea of spinning demonstrations with some finished goods, would be of interest to people. Do you know if there's any societies or craft groups around that work with textiles? That might be something else to check. Hope you have some luck getting them sold.

Jennifer

3. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

I also raise englih angoras. Do you go to rabbit shows? At most of the rabbit shows I attend I usually have a few people wanting to buy some. Are you a member of the National Angora Rabbit Breeders Club? They have a yahoo group and people can advertise their bunnies there. I think they are harder to sale than a "short" hair rabbit because of the upkeep. Another idea, if they aren't "show" quality, contact your local spinning guild and a lot of spinners like to have a couple angoras for their wool. It seems like when you don't have anything for sale you have a lot of people wanting to buy, when you have a barn full of bunnies, no one wants them.

4. holleegee

What lines do you have?

5. TerriA

TerriA Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I didn't get any of the emails that were supposed to let me know anyone answered me. I am just checking on the board and noticed I did get some replies!

I am a member of ARBA and NARBC. (due to pay this month again, too but since I haven't been able to attend any shows, not sure I will do so at this time).

In my EAs my doe is from Fancy That/Horizon's mainly.. the buck is out of Moplops and Ianthe's lines (she lives in S. Nebraska).

In my FAs I have some Fancy That, 7 Pines and Somerhill. The bucks are mainly out of a Somerhill/Somerhill breeding but I do have one that is 7Pines/Fancy That. I have one 7Pines doe that gave me a litter that I am trying to sell 3 10 wk olds (all black) and she is due again the 14th- both were line bred from her son whose sire was a Fancy That buck. Great mom, great wool texture and body conformation. I love Somerhill's lines, too.... wool stays on and on and on <G>.. great bodies, etc... Wish I could afford to get more of these but since I can't sell the kits I have no way of justifying buying more bunnies right now. :shrug:

I also have a litter of 5 REWs but the dam only has 1/2 pedigree due to the previous owner not getting the promised pedigree from HER dam... but I have seen the dam and her wool was to DIE for and she was solidly built... with a Somerhill sire on the 5 REWs....

I have 5 EAs (3 REWs and 2 chestnuts) that I am trying to sell too... so that means I have a total of 13 bunnies I need to sell with 3 more litters due this weekend! YIKES!!!!

My friend offered to butcher them for me.... and if I can't find homes for them then I will have no other choice. I simply do not have ROOM for them even if I did have enough cages, money to burn in feed, etc...

I belong to a spinner's guild but the ones who used to have FAs no longer do since I think they thought rabbits were totally "easy care"- which they are compared to EAs but I guess Jersey Woolies are winning there since the members live in homes and they feel they have the space for smaller bunnies.. ??? One member is an FA breeder and has been a member for a few more years than I have...I do think she is having problems selling hers too which is why I don't think it is "my bunnies".. it is just a problem selling bunnies in general in this neck of the woods.

There is one breeder in the general area that charges about 1/2 the price for her bunnies.. for spinners only since they carry the "white spotting gene/white toenails" and that is what my previous lines were out of. I culled them ALL last fall (gave them to a farm family with kids who just wanted the cuddle factor!!) and just kept these lines. Her bunnies may show ok but they all are carriers even if they don't present the problems... (actually the bunnies were on the bony side though the wool is nice to spin).

The rest of us are selling bunnies for about $50 each. Since it takes a lot more time and fussing to raise these (grooming, being vigilant regarding wool block, etc) I feel it is a fair price especially with the lines I have here. To start selling cheaper now just to get rid of them I think would only hurt sales in the LONG run since you know how people start thinking that once they get a "good deal" they can then get one again... I'd rather have them butchered I think! I know I wouldn't have a problem butchering anything not top notch show quality but these are NICE!!! Grrrrr....

Thanks for reading. I just may have to spring for more carriers, gas money, etc to go to a show... I'd hoped that I could have sold a few and then bought more carriers and built things up slowly over time... looks like that isn't going to happen.

Terri

6. holleegee

What part of Nebraska? I might be interested in the chestnut EA.

7. TerriA

TerriA Well-Known Member

I live an hour NW of Omaha but have family up in Sioux City, IA and can make a trip up that way (planning on one this coming Tues, actually). Thank you for asking- are you looking for a doe or a buck?

Terri

8. holleegee

I sent you a PM

9. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Yeah, I wouldn't sell your rabbits for less than they're worth...I think you're right in assuming that if you cut your prices, people will expect a "deal".

10. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

You could try posting ads on some of the Yahoo rabbit-related email lists like ShowBunny (www.groups.yahoo.com/group/ShowBunnyList) or the breed-specific groups...or spinning/fiber arts type groups.