Marketing Angora Fiber

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by CountryDreams, Jul 23, 2006.

1. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

I hope it's okay to post this here. I am getting ready to sell some of my angora fiber. I have bagged it up and am going to weigh it out. I'm planning on selling it in 2 ounce packages.
    Here's where my questions begin. How much would you charge for 2 ounces of prime angora? I'm talking 4 inch length.

What about seconds? What would be a good price for that?

I am in the midwest and right now, I'm going to try selling at small animal swap meets. I'll eventually start advertising but I need to start somewhere.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I could use all the help I can get.

2. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

Hi there. How is Nick doing? I am in the Mountain View Spinning guild and also the Mansfield Spinning guild. There is also a Marshfield spinning guild. You should not have any trouble selling your fiber with all the spinners there are around here if you are putting a good price on it. Is is clean or right off the bunny? Let me know how much and your phone number and I will let the two guilds I am in know about it

3. CountryDreams

Hey there Teri. Nick is doing great. He is an awesome bunny and he settled in here just fine. I'll PM you my info. Thanks.

The fiber is straight off the bunny but I have cleaned out all the VM that I can see, by hand. I have not washed the fiber.

I've been checking prices on Ebay and a few websites that I have, like Somerhill, and it seems that the going rate seems to be around $4 an ounce for prime angora.

4. TerriA

TerriA Well-Known Member

I have a friend who sells it for $5 per oz and sells out each time.. also she offers "second rate" stuff (a bit of webbing, cut fibers that are less than 3" etc) for $2 per oz as well. She ALSO offers "whole bunny" cut fiber.. meaning the trimmings along with any prime for $3.50 per oz. She simply weighs out the entire clipping/plucking, bags it, labels whose it is and sells the bag for "X" amount (# of oz x 3.50). Sounds easy but I find it is a lot of work for a bit of nothing. Rather spin mine myself! LOL!!

Terri

5. CountryDreams

I agree completely with you. I am a beginner spinner and have yet to work with my angora. I am mostly selling this so that I don't get an over abundance of it before I'm ready to use it. Also the cash would come in really handy right now. I am in the market for a new French angora buck and I need to come up with some money. LOL

Thank you for your response. It sounds like the prices are pretty close.

6. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

A friend of mine in Virginia sells her prime Angora for $4 per ounce. She also spins yarns and sells those. Some are hand painted. They're really beautiful. Here's a link to what she currently has for sale.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=54904

7. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

You could try to post it for sale on some craft boards or rabbit forums.

8. CountryDreams

I finally got several bags weighed out and it takes a LOT of fiber to make two ounces. I think it's going to be a while before I seriously start selling it. LOL Thank you all for your responses and I will be checking into them for the near future.

9. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Hi Dianna
    I sell my French Angora in 3 oz bags, which is about a gallon baggie full. For some reason, I sell a lot more of the natural colors than of white or even dyed fiber. So most of my white wool gets dyed in jewel tones and blended with wool for rovings I sell.
    There is no need to wash angora before you sell it, unless its urine stained. I usually just toss the dirty stuff, since there is not that much, and its usually the shorts around the butt anyway. I don't keep my seconds.....
    Most my sales are made at 2 different fiber festivals I attend. I've not found the need to do much searching for other markets - I'd think advertizing on some of the yahoo fiber related lists would be a good place to start. Something like FiberBuyandTrade....

Hey Dianna - I have 2 super bucks right now - a fawn and a black. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Feel like a road trip?

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

10. orphy

orphy Well-Known Member

Hey dreams I may just have the buck you are looking for I have 3. They are 4 months old I have 2 Lilac pointed, and 2 red bucks. They are nice rabbits. I live in north central Arkansa. Just below Mammoth Spring. Let me know if you are interested.

11. x_xbirdie

x_xbirdie Well-Known Member

Hey guys!

I'm looking into gettin angoras, and not to steal this thread, but anyone know of a place to sell fiber in NJ?

12. CountryDreams

Lisa~ I've been considering a road trip one of these days. I need a extra long weekend from work to do that. I'm going to email you about a couple of things.

Orphy~ can you PM me about your rabbits? Are they French or English? I might be interested if they are pedigreed.

13. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    ok. first post on this board here.

there is a book called 'philosophers wool' which details how a Canadian sheep farmer formed a co-op by that name, bypassed all the middlemen, and started selling his wool directly to knitters and yarn shops. It might be good to read about that because maybe you guys growing angora rabbits can do something similar.

There are also some yarn shops that sell directly to home spinners. One huge yarn shop online and off is called 'Yarn Barn of Kansas'. You probably don't produce enough fiber to interest them (unless you band together in a co-op), but they might be able to put you in touch with some of their suppliers, who might be willing to buy from small producers.

There are also regional yarn conventions, the best known of which is "Stitches". There is Stitches West (bay area california), Stitches East (New Jersey), and Stitches Midwest (Kansas? Oklahoma?). This is kind of like a farmers market of yarn stores from around the country; you can buy a booth space and sell your wares directly to knitters and spinners. Again you'd have to have pretty high volume, but if a bunch of you get together to sell your yearly output all in one swoop, it might be a fun project and a chance to meet each other. Somebody would have to take point to organize it though, so that you had a business identity and could handle the sales tax and all those kinds of issues.

I hope these suggestions are not too big or complicated to use. Following the big yarn store supply chain to a distributor might be a good place to start--fairly non-committal until you're sure how involved you want to get with fiber as a potential business.

14. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Well, I intend to do some research on this, since I was just appointed the NARBC Commercial Committee chair. :help:

My first suggestion in my official position :nerd: is to put a page on the NARBC website for sellers to advertize angora fiber/yarn/felt etc and for members and non-members to place wanted ads. Hopefully this will help connect buyers and sellers.

There is a fiber festival in NJ in September. I find these festivals are a wonderful place to set up as a vendor. Many of them allow sales of rabbits, too. Here is a link for festivals all over the country, including NJ.
    http://www.thistlecovefarm.com/fiber.html

Once in a while, some angora breeders will go together and pool their fiber and have a yarn run done. I would think this would be kinda hard to arrange for those of us who have one of this color and one of that, but could work for white rabbit breeders like Germans.

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

15. TerriA

TerriA Well-Known Member

Congratulations Lisa!!! It sounds like Amy is really going to make NARBC something to crow about!!! She did a great job recruiting you for that position! I can not think of anyone better qualified!!!

Terri (and yes, I am a member of NARBC and I highly recommend anyone wanting to get into angoras do the same!!)

16. CountryDreams

I plan on joining NARBC just as soon as finances allow. I'm really wanting to get serious about my angoras. I started off with a few to see if I'd like them and well, let's just say that I totally fell in love with them.