market sticker shock!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bee, Nov 20, 2003.

1. bee

bee WV , hilltop dweller Supporter

was at the local Martins( Giant) market last nite to check out the fresh and frozen turkeys(gonna get my own to raise next year, tried for this year and lost all the poults in the mail)..will get a fresh bird because of the "6% solution " they inject all the frozen ones with...but on with the real shock! Saw a package in the fresh chicken that was new and caught my eye :eek: ,"no antibiotic,all vegitarian feed chicken"..brace yourselves...4.99 a lb for boneless skinless breasts, 2.69 a lb for whole birds,2.69 a lb also gets you boneless thighs or split breasts....bet you home raisers didn't know you were eating so "high on the hog" :dance: have to wonder tho just what they would be charging if they added "free range" :no:

2. Sedition

Sedition Well-Known Member

You think that's expensive?

Lamb at my local yuppie mega-mart. Get this.

$14.99 a pound - for LEG! Not a crowned roast, just a farging bone-in leg, 30% bone and cartilige, for $14.99 a pound!!!!

Crown roast, not defatted (called "Frenched" at this place) - $18 a pound! Lobster was cheaper, and this is Iowa.

Stew lamb, they call it "Curry Lamb Cubes" - $7.99 a pound, and it looked like half belly trim. Umm-hum. That'll taste like eatin' a candle! YUMMY!

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I just sold my last turkey today....$1.75 per pound. I'm going to raise double the number next year!

Jena

4. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

I'm glad I don't live in your neck of the woods, I'd probably starve!

We buy our turkey breasts a couple of months before the holidays here @ .78 a lb.

Whole turkeys are running .68 a lb. right now. In VA.

Steph