Market For Tame Calves?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by momanto, Aug 25, 2005.

1. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

WE HAVE A HEREFORD BULL AND A MIXTURE OF COWS. MOST OF THE CALVES LOOK LIKE DAD. USUALLY WE TAKE THE CALVES TO THE MARKET 3 TIMES A YEAR. WE HAVE HAD INQUIRIES FROM A FAMILY CONNECTION ABOUT WANTING TO BUY A CALF OR TWO. SHE CAME OUT TODAY. PICKED OUT OUR "TEAR DROP" CALF AND TWO OF HIS 1/2 SISTERS TO BUY. THEY ARE FROM 7 TO 9 MONTHS OLD. HE IS VERY TAME. FOLLOWS ME AROUND.

THEN LATER TODAY, A NEIGHBOR WHO HAS PASTURE NEXT TO OURS BUT DOES NOT LIVE OUT HERE, CALLED ME AND WOULD LIKE TO BUY THE 3-MIXED BREED TWO YEAR OLD HEIFER GIRLS WE HAVE IN THE PASTURE NEXT TO HIM. THEY ARE SUPER TAME AND FRIENDLY. HE WANTS THEM FOR AN UNCLE WHO LIVES UP THE STATE AND HAS A "PETTING ZOO TYPE RANCH" FOR HIS CHURCH GROUP TO VISIT. WE ALSO HAVE A TWO YEAR OLD BULL MIXED BREED, WHO IS IN OUR THIRD PASTURE. HE IS BLACK/WHITE FACED.

IF THERE IS A MARKET FOR TAME CATTLE, I COULD CULTIVATE ALL OF OUR CALVES TO BE SWEET AND MILD. SINCE WE USUALLY GO TO MARKET, WHICH IS 50 MILES AWAY. IT WOULD BE EASIER TO SELL LOCALLY.

SINCE TANGO USED TO LIVE IN THE COUNTY OVER FROM US, MAYBE SHE WOULD HAVE AN IDEA. OR MAYBE JOY KELLEY.......???? LOVE TO HEAR YOU'ALLS VIEWPOINT. THANKS. MOM :sing:

2. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I know when I sold Beefy last year to a 4H kid, she was very happy to get a steer that already was tame and friendly.

Could be a good market there ...

3. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

In our area, the 4H kids will buy tamed cattle. The key is offering a calf that is halter trained. It is pretty easy to halter train them when you do it from day one. This way, they dont have to fight a 2-4 month calf into it. You may not get a large premeium, but will make them very easy to sell at the right time of year.