Market for meat rabbits???????

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Frenchy, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Frenchy

Frenchy Wrangler's Roost

Does anyone know of a market in Western Arkansas area for commercial rabbits other than Pel-Frez ......... have been waiting and waiting on a grower number from them .......... would like to get started back into raising rabbits but don't want to build up a large rabbitry till I can find a market for them........anyone??? any ideas????

2. Ltl Ole Me

Ltl Ole Me Active Member

Frenchy, if you live in western Arkansas, you can't be far from Pel-Freez. You should talk to them about dropping off at the plant. If you are waiting on a route, you will probably be waiting for a while. Myself and a friend of mine started off by taking them to the plant. Actually my friend is still taking hers to the plant, it's almost the same distance to the plant as it would be for her to be on the route. Sometimes dropping off at the plant would be nice, they take rabbits every week there but on the route you have to watch your weights closer because you only sell on route every other week.

Hope this helps.

3. Ltl Ole Me

Ltl Ole Me Active Member

An after thought....Pel-Freez evaluates their demands and supply once a quarter, Jan., April, July Oct., so they only takes new growers 4 times a year. They are evaluating if they need new growers now. This will be the last time this year, so if you don't want to wait until Jan you will need to go ahead and call them.

Hope everything works out for you, keep us posted.

4. Frenchy

Frenchy Wrangler's Roost

I've talked to PF and they told me they are still waiting to hear from their growers to see if anyone is upgrading or selling out. Once they find out all that info. they will decide if they will take on any new growers, also checked on dropping rabbits off at the plant still need a grower number first to do that too. ......... so I am in a hold till they let me know about a grower number at least as far as selling to them goes ............hahaha I'll just keep trying somethings got to give hahahahaha

5. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Try checking with the P M R A that is part of the A R B A , theres folks who post here that are quite active in those.

6. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

7. doninwis

doninwis Active Member

Frenchy;

Are you only interested in commerical rabbits to sell to a processor, or would you want to direct market you're own meat?

With Pel-Frez so close in your area, it is doubtfull there will be other commerical processors in the same area to compete for the limited market.

Start with a few, maybe just a trio, and see if there is enough local interest. You will probably have to harvest them yourself. You need to work on the "nitch" marketing idea. Something that makes your rabbits better than those that are raised commerically.

It is obvious that PF is not raising all their own stock for retail, so the market might be interested in knowing that many of those rabbits come from many different backyards and management systems. Yours could be better for them in many ways. Use the market.

You are not new to the rabbit business, so you will know the route to take.

8. Suemo

Suemo Well-Known Member

Years ago when we had 200 does we had to find a source for the ones that were ready in-between pickups. We settled on smoked rabbits and could sell as many as we could smoke. Why don't you give it a try? Also , while I am not a barbeque fan, it does seem to be the rage with a lot of people, you could try whole fryers barbequed like they sell chicken. Also stir fry rabbit meat is oh so good , cutting up in stir size peices might be an option. Ty your local Famers Market and those that service the larger towns or cities, Fort Smith or the Big Three
    Suemo