Mark V Model 500

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Christina R., Aug 9, 2006.

1. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Someone near us has a Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 for sale. It has the following:

Band Saw ( this is an added attactment)
    Lathe
    Table Saw
    Disc Sanding
    Vertical Drilling
    Horizontail Boring
    This also comes with a full detailed manual

My husband uses all of these items, but has no point of reference for a Shoposmith. The person wants $550 for it. Any opinions or knowledge on this?

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

A friend has one,a normal homeowener type guy and he swears its the greatest thing ever,even at retail(about 2500 bucks).

A site listing used prices,thats a very good price apparently
    http://almy.us/faq.html

FWIW,no personal experience but heard good things from Bud.

BooBoo

3. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

I have had one for over 20 years I feel an excellent machine all around.I also have a bandsaw attachment and a jointer..(jointer is too short to be much help on very long stock,0
    But tha shopsmith as a basic lathe is worth the 550. alone

4. BigBoy

BigBoy No attitude here...

The only time I was around one of the newer ones (less than 25 years old) it felt loose to me... but I could be wrong. And the price is definately right.
    I have a 1958 model 10ER that is built like a tank. Too bad they don't make them like that anymore.

5. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

The thing to remember with a Shopsmith is that you do not have all of those tools to use at once, you have your choice of using any of the tools. It is maybe okay for a hobbyist with lots of time to mess around changing set ups, but I would never get one. I would rather have seperate quality tools. I have seen (and sometimes bought) seperate reasonable quality tools, such as older Delta or Craftsman, at garage sales or auctions, cheap enough that I could assemble a shop full of tools for under $1000, and have all seperate tools. As a matter of fact, my lathe, table saw, drill press, radial arm saw, and band saw cost me about $800, and are all top quality stuff. Just got another table top drill press for $15 that needs a new motor--have to dig one out of the spare motor pile.
    (edit to add: I have a 6" Craftsman jointer in the assortment of tools that cost me $800 that I forgot about)
    Unless you don't have room for seperate tools, I would get the individual shop tools, used, as you can find them and afford them.

6. beowoulf90

beowoulf90 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an older model from the 50's or 60's and I love the thing.... It doesn't change as quick as the newer models, but does the same things. I've also found that most of the parts, but not all are still available from shopsmith. I also agree with the comment that at $550 the lathe is worth it along....

Mike