Marisal's Seed Box---What you took out

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by tallpines, Jan 30, 2004.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Please tell us the seeds you kept and ask any questions you might have about them.

2. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

I took out some tomato, pepper, basil, dill, pansy, & viola seeds, eggplant, radish, & one of burgundy beans. And a little bit each of two kinds of bulk lettuce mixes. The only thing I'm not sure of preferred growing conditions is the eggplant, my DH says they're nice to cook with, but have no experience with growing them. Will look them up in my books, but any hot, dry climate growing tips? Do gophers fancy them? (For some reason, I can grow pole beans with corn, & peas are safe, but bush beans by themselves have to have the roots in wire baskets or they all get sucked underground).

3. marisal

marisal Well-Known Member

4. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Lets see, what did I end up with …..
    Honey Pink melon, Whippoorwill pea’s, Yellow perfection tomato,
    Orange & Purple morning glory’s, Jalapeno pepper, Yellow bell pepper, Orange bell pepper,
    Amish pie squash, Jenny Lind melon, Golden Rod beans, Moon & Stars watermelon.
    Black eyed susans, Echinacea, Feverfew, French thyme, Opal basil, Marigolds, Shasta daisy,
    Nasturtium.

I only sneaked a few out of each packet. Had planned on increasing the size of the garden this year anyway, but it looks like the DH is going to be running the tiller longer than he ever imagined.

I enjoyed this so much. :)
    Can we do it again next year?

FYI, the box of seeds had the pleasure of experiencing a 3.7 earthquake while I was packing it.
    3 miles east of here, WOOOOO HOOOOOOOO.

Kris

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Cool.

6. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

I took out a few of this and few of that. Mostly I just put a tiny amount out of an envelope and put it in one of my own but I did take a whole package of those Amish pie squash. Did anyone look at the size of those seeds?? Also the black Hollyhock, I love them anyway, so I'm jazzed to find the seeds for the blacks.

7. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I ended up with some odd balls -- the tobacco plant ( can you smoke this?) , the money plant, flamingo feather ,lady's mantle, then got some acorn squash ( thanks cara !) , amish pie squash, yellow tomatoe, and manderine orange pepper.

8. Hammer

Hammer Active Member

I was wondering if any on the list have any interest in morning glory seeds. I ended up with a bunch that some one wanted then never picked up. They are mixed colors, probably ten or more different color combinations.

9. marisal

marisal Well-Known Member

I could use more, I had to put up a fenced area for my dog to do his buisness, and I wanted to plant vines around it to camaflage it. They would be perfect!

~Marisa :)

10. Hammer

Hammer Active Member

I would really like to load you up on the morning glory seeds and several others if they want any. I bet I have a quart of them. I spent the time getting them and hated to just throw them away.

11. Miz Mary

I'll take some !!! Pmed ya !!

12. Hammer

Hammer Active Member

I am wondering why no one has posted here in nearly 2 weeks?

13. Miz Mary

Got the seeds Hammer - thank you!!!!

14. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

I just realized that I didn't say thanks so much for the seeds!

Miz Mary, I put some of the daisy seeds in peat pellets the day they came...thanks.

Marisa, I got the tomato seeds Friday, but it's rained buckets here since then....really doesn't help get me in the mood for garden stuff:( But thanks so much...hopefully they will be my first seed saving project!

15. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Wow, so much stuff! I got:

Some of each soap, had to restrain myself from taking them all, :D
    -Bloody butcher corn
    -a bulb of garlic
    -a kick from myself for already having bought :moon and stars watermelon, corn, carrot, and yellow squash seed.

little sis took:
    -russian mammoth sunflower
    -some of the wildflower mix and some of the low maintanence mix
    -persian cornflower
    -Cottage pink mixed colors
    -asters
    -bachelor's button
    -some yellow bell pepper seeds
    -1 piece of soap (she could use more after playing with the dogs :no: )

16. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

I got the last bulb, I think it was a garlic. I got 1 piece of each soap. They smell good. I got 2 seeds of the amish pie, there was only a few more left. I got some of the Russian nuts (some for me and some for Jeannie). Sorry didn't see any of the pine but I could of just not known what I was looking for. :rolleyes: I was supose to get somethings for someone else for Jeanne, not sure who, but they requested heirlooms which I didn't see much of. But then again, maybe I still didn't know what I was looking for. I did my best, I really did. :)

I also took some flower seeds of several different varieties. I did my best to put in way more than I took. I hope you all find as many nice things as I did. This was so much fun! I sure would love to be included in the next round robin. Thank you Marisa and everyone who contributed to the box.

I can't wait to get started planting. Just a few more days till frost should be gone for good. :p

17. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

the loblolly pine was in a seed packet - white and green

18. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

Wow....What a great way to replenish my flowers. I took out several different seeds for day lilies, holly hocks, butterfly bushes, and cosmos. I also took some dill, basil, echinacea and calendula. I thank everyone who made this so much fun to do... :) Laurie

19. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Zoweeeee! I got hot peppers, broom corn, butterfly weed and butterfly bush,cosmos, hollyhock, iris, pinks, pumpkin, dogwood, chives, coriander and primrose!!!! It's all sitting on my desk. DH is rolling his eyes at me 9he knows there is tilling in his future!!)
    Think we ought to start earlier next time. Right after Christmas (we can have Xmas twice :) )

What's the difference between the butterfly weed and the butterfly bush???????????

20. Mullers Lane Farm

Mullers Lane Farm Well-Known Member