Marisal's Seed Box---What you added

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by tallpines, Jan 30, 2004.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Tell us what you added to the box and list any growing hints or instructions.

2. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

I stuck in packets of Bloody butcher corn, some Amish pie squash, Moon & Stars watermelon, Jenny Lind melon (green inside), Emerald Gem melon (orange inside), & Scarlet runner beans. Plus 1 pkt of asparagus seeds I bought a couple of months ago in a fit of wild optimism, & then realized I wasn't going to plant (I don't even like asparagus), & a free pkt of some kind of flower, "rocket" something, from Sandhill).
    The corn, squash, watermelons, & beans all grow marvelously in hills - hint: plant the corn before the beans, then when you plant the beans, they already have something to climb. Scarlet runner is a real climber, plus the roots overwinter in mild climates. The corn gets pretty big - some of my stalks were 13 ft. I feed old stalks to my sheep. Useful both as fresh eating corn (young), or let dry & grind for meal. I've made a few pies recently from a pie squash I cut off the vine in August, & it was quite sweet & sound. I feed them to the sheep & chickens too, & have LOTS left...

3. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

I put in the following …..
    Mini popcorn, Globe squash, Golden zucchini, Jack be Little pumpkin (not edible).
    Crookneck squash, Borage (small qty), Sweet basil, Cilantro, Green Beans(2 types),
    Radish (3 types) Carrots, Romaine lettuce, Roma VF & Sweet 100 tomatoes (small qty).
    Cucumber, Leeks, Sorrel, Radicchio (Chicory).
    Bunch’s of Zinna’s (seed and petal mix, separating those is a skill I don’t have, I just plant the whole mess and thin later).
    Wild flower mix, good for that piece of pasture that’s a bit dull to look at.

I must say I’m rather embarrassed about they way I store my seeds.
    I use paper envelops and cut off one end and keep re-taping it year after year.
    The small plastic and paper bags seem the way to go, who knew?

I'll ship it out Saturday a.m. and post the confermation number.

Kris

4. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I added sweet williams, and nastursums, plus cabbage, collard geens, kale, african daisy, lima beans, eggplant, cantaloupe, collards, turnip greens, spaghetti squash, cucumbers, and green pepper !

5. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

Miz Mary, do you have anymore African Daisy?? My friend is getting married Friday and she wanted something called a Sweet Shrub and and African Daisy so I was going to start her some for a gift. I hadn't ever heard of it before.

6. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Cara -Sure do !! Pm me your addy and I'll send some your way !!!!

7. Sedition

Sedition Well-Known Member

We added leeks, garlic, shallots, red somniferium (poppies), lots of peppers, and a bunch of other misc flowers and veggies. I know we added way more than we took out :D
    Suzanne & Mike

8. arley

arley Member

Just sent the box off today. I added 3 or 4 different heriloom tomatoes, a polish hot pepper, broom corn, grandpa ott's morning glories, and a few others I can't remember right now...It was great going though the box.

9. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I added:

Thai pink egg tomato -a pink egg shaped cherry tomato
    Cherokee purple tomato
    Snow White Tomato - A light yellow tomato
    Black Cherry Tomato - A purple cherry tomato
    Clemson Spineless Okra

I will have more to put in next year,
    Woohoo! Again! :D

10. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

I added some Loblolly pine and hazlenuts that originated in russia. My g-great grandmother brought them in her pocket when she escaped csarist russia at age 14.I also added some marigold seeds.

11. oakhillhubbards

oakhillhubbards Well-Known Member

Now that's the coolest thing i've ever heard! Thanks from all of us after you!

I will be adding seeds that follow us all along the various moves.....yellow wax beans (this is the 3rd state we've grown them in), grey stripe sunflowers (1st state, 2 locations), as well as many others that have been family favorites.

I'm just dying to get my hands on that box!

12. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

What I put in? So much I can't remember it all but, here are the ones I can remember.

cosmos, marigolds, tomatoes, lettuce, corn, okra, carrots, cabbage, cantaloupe,
    squash, beans, peas, greens, cucumbers, zuchinni, spinach, basil, dill, watermelon, rose of sharon, peppers, zinnia, coneflower, and many more I can't remember.

Have fun all! :)

13. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

I hope you like what I added to the box: some flower seeds, small sugar pumpkins, howden pumpkins, mini ornamental corn, regular size ornamental corn, strawberry popcorn, & broom corn. I also added several different types of sweet corn: Bodacious, Bon Appetit. Sunset, and Silver Queen. Enjoy!!!

14. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I added black soybeans, Masai french fiilet beans (bush), parsnips, salsify, onions, columbine, peppers, and a bunch of flowers I can't pronounce, as well as more common veggies. Also put in a handful of seed-saving packets.