Marigolds and the garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Niki, May 23, 2006.

1. Niki

Niki mini-steader

I'm beginning to think there is a REASON why the amish line their vegetable beds with marigolds besides looking pretty. Does anyone happen to know how this may be beneficial to the garden? Is it a natural pesticide or perhaps it keeps animals out of the garden somehow??

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

mariegolds are the soil doctor in the garden. they eliminate nematodes that would destroy the root system of veggie plants.

3. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

They also kind of reek and probably put some other pests off for that reason. Garlic and onions are also supposed to be handy for this!

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Japanese beetles love white marigolds.

5. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Rabbits tend to avoid the beds in which I've grown marigolds.

Of course, YMMV. I've had people come into the greenhouse and swear that the rabbits ate their marigolds to the nubs...

Pony!

6. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know if they help or not but they're so purty :) We've been planting three dozen around the vegetable garden for years and we always have a great garden.

I also like that the marigolds are so easy to start from seed, easy to take care of, and bloom all summer long.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I have often planted the orange marigolds in my garden. I think they do help somewhat with deterring some pests.

But all marigolds are not the same. Some can be useful for deterring nematodes when planted in large numbers, some may be useful for deterring certain insects, but not just any marigolds will do.

A bit of time spent with Google will help a lot here.

.....Alan.

8. Niki

Niki mini-steader

Thanks for the replies. After posting this, I did do some Googling. It talks about marigolds being beneficial with some pests, but may attract others. It also talks about them being like weeds and competing with herbs and vegies for water and nutritients. Interesting stuff!

9. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I've heard it deters nematodes by companion planting marigolds. If anything else, it enhances the beauty of a vegetable garden. Nice thing also is that it's easy enough to save the seeds of non hybrid marigolds that can be harvested in profussion for the following year, so you can plant many without much cost.

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I've always planted orange and yellow marigolds in my raised garden beds. I pinch the seed heads off and scatter them around so I have volunteers come up the next year.

This year I've planted four o'clocks and nasturtiums in the garden as well.

11. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

Post some links, please. Sometimes I feel like I'm on Slashdot here.

12. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

I had to chime in here because this thread brought back a humorous memory. Years ago when I lived in a more densly populated area, a friendly neighbor allowed me to plant a garden at the edge of his yard. I planted marigolds all around the garden because it was supposed to deter rabbits. When I looked out the next day, everything in the garden had been eaten clean off (except the cherry tomato, pineapple sage and lemon basil). And what a site! I actually caught one of the culprits munching on the marigold flowers!

So, whether they were just really hungry since someone had turned their open field into a mile long block of warehouses the year before, or they actually liked marigolds makes no difference when most of what you plant gets consumed.

I would try it again where we are now, there is more vegetation to go around. Marigolds might deter rabbits when they have a bigger selection to choose from.

13. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

As you wish.

Marigolds and Nematodes
    http://www.google.com/search?q=marigolds+nematodes

Marigolds and Pests
    http://www.google.com/search?q=marigolds+insects

For deterring insects marigolds seem to have only limited abilities at best. For nematodes they are more useful if used correctly.

For deterring rabbits or any other sort of animal I've never seen they worked at all.

.....Alan.

14. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

the marigolds in my garden did not help with the rabbit thing last year, and not noticibly with pests, but they were very attractive! I have read that if you interplant your veggies with herbs, it will cut down on the buggies a good bit. You know that seem to actually be working! I have several square foot bets (12, maybe?) and the ones that have herbs planted in them are NOTICIBLY lower on bugs. The one exception is one bed where I planted lavendar. That is about the same as the beds with no herbs at all. :)

Cindyc.