Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Junkman
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were making a dinner at Church and I asked my niece to stop on her way home and get us a couple pounds of Oleo. Later she called and said the store clerk said they didn't have any and didn't know what it was anyway! Anyone out there remember when your Mother bought a plastic bag of a white stuff with a little orange capsule you busted and worked until your white stuff became beautiful yellow margarine? It seems, or I was told, the housewife would not buy margarine that was white as it looked too much like lard. Jklady:facepalm:

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
Oleo is margarine.

I don't remember the yellow packets because at that time Grandma was still getting butter from the milkman. Dh remembers those little packs. His mom would never let the kids mix it in because if they spilled it, it would make a stain. He says it came in a bowl.

Bacon grease, the cooking oil of kings! I like my eggs and toasted cheese cooked in bacon grease.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
We were making a dinner at Church and I asked my niece to stop on her way home and get us a couple pounds of Oleo. Later she called and said the store clerk said they didn't have any and didn't know what it was anyway! Anyone out there remember when your Mother bought a plastic bag of a white stuff with a little orange capsule you busted and worked until your white stuff became beautiful yellow margarine? It seems, or I was told, the housewife would not buy margarine that was white as it looked too much like lard. Jklady:facepalm:
Last time I remember that was in 1947:thumb:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
We have no time for margarine of any kind in this house. It's real butter or nothing of the sort. Margarine is not good for you. All of those years of ad campaigns certainly seem to have been effective, though, as so many people have this idea that it's much healthier to eat margarine than butter. Granted, maybe butter isn't the best thing to consume in large quantities but at least your body knows what to do with it. Margarine and some of the other butter substitutes can be quite foreign to your body and it can go through quite the process trying to deal with the substances being thrown at it. Think butter is bad for your heart? Think Smart Balance is any better for your liver? Think again.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Only time I've ever come across the word oleo is when doing a crossword puzzle.

I grew up eating margarine. And even when I first got married, that's what we used. Then, B4 they ever realized that margarine was bad for you, I switched to butter. I liked the taste much better. I have not had margarine for years that I know of.

·
Registered
267 Posts
We have no time for margarine of any kind in this house. It's real butter or nothing of the sort. Margarine is not good for you. All of those years of ad campaigns certainly seem to have been effective, though, as so many people have this idea that it's much healthier to eat margarine than butter. Granted, maybe butter isn't the best thing to consume in large quantities but at least your body knows what to do with it. Margarine and some of the other butter substitutes can be quite foreign to your body and it can go through quite the process trying to deal with the substances being thrown at it. Think butter is bad for your heart? Think Smart Balance is any better for your liver? Think again.
Exactly right. Dont stop there. Have a good hard look at the food pyramid. Its exactly opposite of what it should be.

I had never heard of oleo until I was grown and came across the word in a crossword puzzle.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Margarine used to be pink in order to protect big dairy.

The only time I remember it being called oleo was by my grandmother who grew up during the great depression.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have some recipes handwritten by my great-grandmother that call for oleo. I had to ask my mom what that was. haven't eaten margarine in several years, but I must say that with the price of butter these days, I can hardly blame a person for buying it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes, I remember. We didn't use oleomargarine at our house; only ate real butter. I was always told that the little coloring packet was because it couldn't be sold as already yellow and looking like real butter.

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
Funny, caught mother in law in another lie. Should have never believed her. She told me she bought oleo with the color pack when her kids were little. Could not possibly be so. In 1955 the color law was repealed. MIL wasn't even married when they stopped selling it with the color pack.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Kerry Gold Irish Butter has been on sale at Publix. I bought a good bit of it to stack up in the fridge. It tastes like butter tasted when I was a kid.

Quit eating margarine (oleo) years ago when I figured out the soy in it was what was making me sick.

Talking about the store people not knowing what oleo was, I have a similar tale; years ago I went to the meat counter and asked for ham hocks. The guy in the meat department had no idea what I was talking about. I said "you cook 'em in with beans or greens", and he still didn't have a clue.

I found something to use, neckbones or some such, and just shook my head.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Oleo margarine was used/invented in the late 1800's, as oil extracted from beef fat, plus water, coloring, milk.
There was a war between oleo margarine and butter.
The dairy lobby wanted to have it outlawed.
You can read the story on the link below.

http://www.examiner.com/article/oleo-wars

So, I guess my conclusion is that oleo margarine, is basically tallow (?) plus flavor, color, moisture. I could be wrong but it sounds like tallow, similar to lard, to me. Tallow is from beef fat, lard from pig fat.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Bacon grease, the cooking oil of kings! I like my eggs and toasted cheese cooked in bacon grease.
Ain't that right ? We processed our first homegrown hogs and recently got our bacon. I've been cooking up a ton of it (so much so I decided not to wait til spring to get more pigs) and decided to use my cast iron cornbread skillet for bacon since the slices were so big. I cooked up breakfast this weekend and we sat down to our eggs fried in the skillet in the bacon grease and holy cannoli I got chills it tasted so good. I couldn't even join in on whatever conversation was going on....every bite I took about brought tears to my eyes. I'm 100% certain I have never had a better meal - ever.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts