Maremma's

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Caelma, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Does anyone here have or had Maremma's?
    I'm considering one as a LGD and need to
    do more research.
    How do they do (pro's and con's) compared
    to other breeds with sheep and goats?

2. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

We have just started with the breed, we have a maremma pup (7 months).

We chose maremma's over Great Pry because they are reputed to be less likely to wander off. Plus I didn't want to have that really heavy coat to deal with.

We are delighted with her intelligence, and devotion to the flock without being overly aggressive to humans - I would definitely choose this breed again.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

http://www.lgd.org/

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/maremmasheepdog.htm (one of my dogs)

I have 3 Maremmas now, and have paid a deposit on a 4th that was just born last week. I love them!!!! They dont seem to have the roaming problems of a Pyrenees, and can stand heat better with the shorter coats. They are loving and friendly to those they know, but let you know if anything is out of place.

Buy from a good breeder with working dogs and you wont be disappointed. They can be hard to find, so start looking early. They are still fairly rare in the US. Registered dogs of good quality usually start around $500 and go up from there. Started dogs are usually closer to $1000.

The biggest problem Ive seen with them is they can get rough playing with the animals when they are 6-7 months old 100 lb "puppies". A couple of sessions with a shock collar will normally solve that quickly. Once they mature, at around 2 years old, they are a lot more mellow. They do best in pairs so they can play with each other instead of wanting to play with the animals they guard.

http://www.bountifulfarm.com/lgd_seminar.htm

If you have more questions feel free to E-mail me. If you decide you want one let me know and Ill try to help you find one.

How could you NOT want one of these?:

[​IMG]

4. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I have a litter mate to Minni. She is wonderfull. She had a time of being a bit rough but the larger animals put her in line. She is really coming into her own as a guard dog . She is wonderfull with the family. Plain vision on these forums is who we got ours from.

Patty

5. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

I'm looking and came across a litter but feel the price is way to high.
    They want $800 and the mother (a purebred) is not papered.
    (Father is) If someone takes 2 they are willing to go down about $100 to $150
    per pup. I still think $650. is a bit much for none papered pups.
    I know papers don't mean they'll be good guard dogs.
    I also don't like taking LGD pups at 8 weeks old.
    I think they should be with the mother in with the livestock till they are
    10 to 12 weeks old,
    What do you all think?

6. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

I think they should be in with mom and the stock till at least that old... And I wouldn't pay that much for a pup unless I knew it had been assessed and was going to be a good LGD. You can't assess them until about 10 wks...,.

7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Most breeders sell them at 8 weeks. Waiting longer means an extra round of shots and Vet bills that add to the costs. The pups are usually weaned by then, so theres no reason they cant be with YOUR animals instead of someone elses.

$650 is WAY too much for a non registered dog. Ive seen registered dogs for less. Im buying a registered female now for less than that. Id pass on any of their pups.

8. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Contact plainvision and see if she has any pups. Yes that is alot.

Patty

9. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Well, this is speaking from inexperience and what those breeding LGD have taught me.
    yes and no, at 8 and 9 weeks old they have no idea what their job is.
    And if one doesn't already have an older LGD to teach pups the ropes
    it makes it even harder. I was told/taught pups do much better if they are in with their parents 8 to 10 and preferably 12 weeks they do much better
    in their new home guarding. I would rather pay a breeder a little additional
    than have an 8 week old pup who hasn't a clue.
    Just my opinion from what I learned so far.

10. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a pyrenees and I decided this time we would try something different.Mine drove my hubby nuts with the barking all the time.We got 2 Maremmas from plainvision on this board and I wouldnt trade anything for them.While we were there we got to watch them work together as a team it was amazing and sold my husband he told everyone about the event.I say buy from a working breeder.By 4 months old they were trained and knew what to do No training here.They train me,trust your dog.Let them work they are Amazing.

11. plain vision

plain vision Well-Known Member

Thank you all for recommending us. Thought i would mention that we have found the time to go ahead and advertise our newest litter for sale. They were born Dec. 21st and they have been in with goats all of this time and have had a series of vaccinations and worming. I haven't really had much time to advertise them until now and they are a joy to keep, so i haven't been in a hurry. So many people stop daily along the road and watch the pups playing out amongst the does. We have them priced at $175.00 a pup or $250.00 a pair. We have 3 males pups left and 3 females. One male would be considered white and two males have the apricot coloring like Pepper. I know there is an ivory female and i need to look over the rest of the females to see if they were white or apricot or the ivory.

Thank you, sonja
    Acres of Plain Vision
    www.aopv.com

12. plain vision

plain vision Well-Known Member

Somebody is interested in a female and another farms is interested in one of the males, so i am unsure of the exact count of pups left now, contact us if interested.

Thank you,
    Sonja Marwitz
    Acres of Plain Vision
    www.aopv.com

13. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

It is generally considered better to keep large breed pups with mom and littermates until they are at least ten weeks old, twelve weeks better. Because of their slow growth, they take longer to mature mentally as well as physically, and are developmentally well behind small dogs at eight weeks of age, even if they are, techinically, weaned. A good breeder will go ahead and get the puppy shots rather saving a few dollars selling them early.