Manure tea

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Does anyone use manure tea?If so how does it work?

Tambo

2. WaterSoluble

WaterSoluble Well-Known Member

Nope, the closest I've used is compost tea. After brewing for a week, I strain it put the strained fluid in a dispenser and spray the whole garden. The plants LOVE it! Do this about once a month instead of using something like miracle gro.

3. I use manure when setting out tomato plants. I would place a couple shovel fulls of chicken manure in a old pillow case. Tie it off and place in a large trash can and fill with water. After a couple of days and when I'm ready to transplant I would fill a bucket full of the tea and take it to the garden with me. When transplanting I would pour one cup full of manure tea into the ground opening. Place my plants in the water and cover with soil. The manure tea decomposes fast and turns into great nutrients for the plants. I have not had any problems with burn out.

4. thefarm

thefarm Well-Known Member

Yes we have used it before we use a big drum fill with water take a burlap bag fill it ,tie it with twine and sit in the drum and leave it.. Just take your water can a nd water when you want.. When the water doesn't have any color start all over again. We have had great results.. Brenda :)

5. the manure-is it fresh, or has it been composted for a length of time? What about it being too hot for the plants? I have thought about doing this often, but have had my doubts.
    Arley

6. Amy Jo

Amy Jo Well-Known Member

My mother told me they did this when she was a little girl, and it wouldn't burn the roots the way straight manure did. They watered the plant/seed with it as they were sowing/transplanting it.

7. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Actually the chlorine just rises from the nasty (ok, city water around here is BAD, tastes bad, smells bad, ect.) city water in about 24 hours. I don't think that manure affects it. Pond water is also good for the garden.

8. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

I have always used horse manure ( I have a rather steady supply) When I clean the paddocks I use the tractor to push all the manure along the outside of the pen, after it "dries" we got back and load it all into the trailer, then we spend the day filling all the water holes around each tree, vegie etc full of manure.. When you water it basically makes a "tea" .. When I plant something weather its a tree or a flower I always include the manure in the plant hole... I water each tree with ahose so if you use a drip you could still use the manure in the hole theory but it wouldnt be as good...

Arley basically you want the manure to dry out... Dont use the fresh green mooshy piles.....One it will burn the plant, 2 it stinks and Im not sticking MY Hands in fresh doo. LOL

I perfer horse over steer simply because 1. I have horses therefor its free, and 2 horse manure doesnt stink like cow manure does...
    I use it on everything, I even sprinkle it over my yard ... WHich by the way you will smell it when it is watered.... But its still better than cow manure smell....